Thursday 27 January 2022

Something new...

...hits the studio (and house) occasionally, and this bookmark is a case in point.


I created the old one early in 2018, and it's been thoroughly brutally utilized since then, having marked places in book after book after book.  Even in normal times I'm an avid reader, and the pandemic increased that exponentially.


Of course there's little that gets thrown away in the world of mixed media, so there is a journal spread in progress to honour the hours of pleasurable reading this bookmark has made possible.


This past week I've been having to push myself to even get into the studio, so the other piece is an in-progress one as well.  An artist tissue piece, it also started its life in 2018, and went no further than the hideously ugly stage.


It's looking somewhat more presentable now with a total wash and wipe-back of turquoise, an application of oil pastels and a further judicious wash of Paynes grey in some areas.  There may be hope yet.


I like the feeling of sunlight peeking through the forest, and it's got me thinking about summer hiking.  How can that be a bad thing?

I also - don't laugh - spent a full day doing a prototype for a slipcover case for my piano hinge skewer book. Those of you who read this blog regularly know how spatially challenged I am, so that won't surprise you at all.  I've made one before but found it as challenging for my brain this time around as it was the first.  I actually managed to mess up the dimensions four times and goofed the fold once.  I'm so glad that it was waste paper, as I think I can manage the concept now.  Maybe.  😃  Perhaps if I spent a full week making these cases, they'd stick in my mind.

Hope you've had a great week - I'm looking forward to checking out your posts!  

11 comments:

  1. I love the piece that is shaping into the forest with light in the distance. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen; it's likely to be a happy one for me as well. I can just about smell the pinecones and moss!

      Delete
  2. Very nice retreat place for your favorite bookmark!
    I'm curious to know what you usually read...
    You made me laugh a lot with this 'undoable' slipcover story.
    I don't know if I should imagine you concentrated, with your tongue in your cheek and your eyebrows furrowed, or laughing out loud, or even bitching like a carter.
    The forest revealing the sun and the light between the trees seems to have improved a lot with your new treatments.
    Continue your experiments for your personal development and for our greatest pleasure Win.
    Have good times and take care of yourself my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on all counts, Sim. As for reading, I'm mostly a fiction person, having a love for excellent mysteries (by Louise Penny, Laurie R. King, Deborah Crombie and the like) and anything, really, that has a good story. I just finished an excellent book by Matt Haig called the Midnight Library.

      And you can imagine me doing all of the above, tongue in cheek, furrowed eyebrows, laughing and cursing - often at the same time.😉 Thanks for stopping by with your encouragement, my friend. Happy week to you! xo

      Delete
  3. Hi Win, I think we all have those moments when you just can't get in the mood for crafting. I smiled when you said nothing is wasted by Mixed Media artists as i am determined this year to go through this massive collection of plastic folders that I keep filling with all those bits and pieces left over from projects, there could be stuff in there from years ago and instead of going back to them I just keep buying more folders! Madness! Craft on my friend. Hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand, Angela; those bits and pieces keep collecting themselves and they wait so patiently to be used. Bags full of them, and like hangers, they breed I think. May we all clear the decks this year and empty those bags and bins - they need to breathe!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely idea to 'retire' a bookmark. My household is one of voracious readers, too, and anything can be pressed into use as a bookmark. I do have one that I use constantly for my morning reading, but then all the other books - the one by the bed, the one on the table, the one in the studio etc. - might contain an old receipt, a postcard, or any other stray bit of paper that didn't manage to get away before being pressed between the pages :)

    I'm with you on the sunlight through the trees. That is definitely what I see when I look at your piece in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Tracy, we have receipts, postcards, torn off bits from envelopes, and any kind of paper called into service for bookmarks, in spite of my having made hundreds of them just in the last five years or so for library fundraisers. Also like you, there is always one that marks my current 'must read' novel, and it gets wildly abused. 😀 Reading a story is just the next best thing to living one, and we most certainly do both!

      Delete
  5. Win only you would be sensitive and caring enough to create a retirement place for a bookmark.
    Your walk in the woods is lovely and I am glad not to be the only spatially challenged person around. Sorry I don't think there is much hope for us.
    I have been off on a Wonderland tangent creating pictures of some of my favorite characters just for my own enjoyment...it is a mad world. Keep on caring and creating, you are amazing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't want you to think I'm losing my marbles but I know I commented on this post last week. I must have been distracted and forgot to push the publish button. Anyway I have to say that you are the only person I know who is so wonderfully kind that she would create a special place for a retiring bookmark. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really made me laugh, Deann - I can safely say that kindness never entered my brain, although there is an underlying feeling of never wanting to throw things out. Maybe someone desperate for a bookmark can use it sometime?! It's up for grabs if you know someone.... 😃

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...