Thursday 2 September 2021

What a curve...

 ...learning curve, that is.  I've been working on the slipcase for Coptic stitch #2, and after four paper prototypes, some major cursing (learned from my brother who spent some years in the navy), and hair torn out by the roots, I finally finished it.  I also finished all forty-six spreads in the book, no small feat in spite of the tiny (5 1/4" x 3 3/4") size of the book.  It heads out into the world in the next few days.


The book is an accolade to a woman who has worked prodigiously over the last year and a half (and prior, of course) to lift our spirits and guide us through these rough waters.

It includes a number of descriptors, photos of an event she organized, her quotes that have been helpful to me, and the usual colourful shapes and mini paintings that inhabit my studio.  I thought you might like to see some of the pages here.






 







A quote that arrived in my inbox yesterday via 'Notes from the Universe' really reminded me what this kind of thing is all about.  It reads, in part, 

'When you understand that what most people really, really want is simply to feel good about themselves, and when you realize that with just a few well-chosen words you can help virtually anyone on the planet instantly achieve this, you begin to realize just how simple life is, how powerful you are, and that love is the key.' 

Thanks for checking in, for sharing your posts with me, for your comments and your caring attitude.  I love it all, and appreciate you more than you can know.  💗

12 comments:

  1. Rochelle Christensen2 September 2021 at 09:24

    Beautifully done! I love that last quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done binding the book - I'm not sure I would have had the patience - I can't imagine you swearing LOL - it must have been something very mild - like the equivalent of 'bloody hell' in Canadian LOL! Love that the book has a little holder and some really inspiring content with a plethora of colours and textures. I'm sure the recipient will appreciate the gesture and will be touched by the recognition. Have a lovely week Win! xx zsuzsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The one thing about book creating, binding and stitching and all the new skills required is that it keeps my brain active (and from losing all those oh-so-important curse words in the inactive files :D ). Truly being spatially declined is a great gift. Can you see me ROLF?!

      Delete
  4. Hi Win, the quote is perfect and so true it works well with school children too. All those beautiful pages! so pleased you've finished the book despite the cursing, I understand all that ans being able to work in the cabin has been a god send for me when I really need to curse! Take care my friend and craft on. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book, in spite of the complaining, was a blast, and now that I've finished one slip case using these instructions (and re-written them for my brain), I'll no doubt do a second one much more easily. Onwards and upwards...happy week, my friend! xo

      Delete
  5. The finished product looks fabulous and the recipient will love it. Well done, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corrie - this was an engaging project to do, most certainly!

      Delete
  6. I think the tiny size makes the whole thing even more of a tremendous achievement! I'd much rather work large than small any day :) I'm sure the recipient will be truly blessed by your thoughtful gift of love, time, and skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the small size quite a bit. I've painted/created in every size from 4' x 5' down to 2" x 3", and it's been a great change to work these mini books. They are, of course, much faster than doing 40+ paintings of a great size. :D

      Delete
  7. A great big Standing Ovation from me my dear, what a fabulous creation beautifully done.
    You are one of the few people that I have had the pleasure of knowing who really "Gets It" the most important thing in this life is to love others everything else is just noise.
    I hope I didn't "Jackhammer" your head too much with my soldier. I have been so annoyed about the incompetence and misery going on in the world. Sometimes I just have to let it out. I feel so fortunate to live where I do and have so much, it's hard to watch other go without and suffer and not be able to help.
    Thank you for being the little ray of sunshine through the SMOKE in my life. I'll bet you have smoke up there too cough, cough.
    Have a happy week, take care of you and keep on creating your wonderful little treasures.
    Hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks, Deann - it was a wonderful project to create, even with the thoroughly-cursed learning curve on the slipcase. ;-)

    It is such amazement to me that after thousands of years, we have yet to learn that love is all there is. I know that love takes practice, but what else is there in this life that is more important? Absolutely nothing, of course.

    And please don't worry about jackhammering my head - one of the things that I find most outstanding about your being is that you are able to creatively express ALL the emotions, and that is a huge blessing. Jackhammer away - I suspect we all need the reminders.

    The smoke has mostly cleared here physically, although with Covid-brain it's sometimes hard to be sure of anything. In the meantime, we keep on, keeping on, as you are doing as well. Hope your hubby is gaining in strength, you and family are all well, and that life is filled with light and love. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...