Thursday 11 November 2021

Books, books, books...

 ...are really all I can think about right now.  I'd like to shut myself away in the studio and make them until I've tried every possible style.

This particular one is called a piano hinge, using wooden skewers to tie it all together.  


It's been in the works for a couple of weeks, what with the re-writing the directions so that I could understand them, and doing some paper mockups.


It has ten signatures of two sheets each and in five different colours, so that the spine is (quietly) colourful.

I used my own painted paper for the covers, which only leaves me with two or three feet of this one to go.  😂

What was really fun was popping over to visit another artist to purchase some buttons. Andrea Revoy makes the most fabulous clay and porcelain buttons and her wide-ranging interests run from clay to fabric to hand-crafted books.  A visit to her studio is, for me, to get lost in the deliciousness!

One couldn't help finding the perfect button to finish off this book.





Meanwhile, the Christmas cards continue apace and the painting lies languishing from neglect.


Who knows where the muse will strike this week?  I really need to make a box for this book (it will  look terrific hanging like a ledger), and I've got a couple of more book styles lined up as well.  When will I get back to the painting?  Heaven knows!

14 comments:

  1. Nice to see you're using up some of your bead and thread stash :) Those colours are lovely and that perfect button makes such a difference, doesn't it?
    My husband likes bright shirts but clerical ones are boooring! So he picks out the fabric and the buttons - he's very particular about the buttons - and I make them for him. Think pink raccoons on a white background with smiley face buttons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I SO want to see those buttons...that sounds just like my kind of fun. You truly are a treasure, as I'm sure is your husband. A man who must have pink raccoons on his buttons must be a great delight. :D

      Delete
  2. piano hinge? Never heard of it, but it looks fab! Does look fiendishly complicated though, not sure I would manage! Those chunky buttons look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that hinge was quite complex; wrapping my head around it was almost as tough as managing the reality! ;-) And I so love Andrea's buttons...they are just the perfect addition to everything - clothing, books, and much more!

      Delete
  3. Hi Win,
    Your book is a very intriguing, gorgeous, and I love the beads and button and the paper covers are lovely...but some of them there pointy things they look lethal. Do you have plans for what you are going to do on the pages of your books, or do you just enjoy the book and the making of it.
    I purchase a journal years ago that I love, but I just can't bring myself to write in it because I didn't want to mess up the pages. So I just get it out and enjoy it once in awhile and do my journaling in a binder...crazy. You are an amazing lady and I so admire your ambition and talent...you go girl. Hugs Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree about those wooden skewers - they ARE lethal, hence the beads on half of them. I think one could poke out an eye. :D

      I'm so into trying the book forms right now, that I'm not stopping to put anything into them, although I do have something in mind for this one when I get back to it! And I totally understand about not wanting to use a lovely art journal...it can seem almost sacrilegious, right? Should I? Shouldn't I? What if I mess it up? I tell you, we're all nuts in this world! :D

      Happy week, dear friend! xo

      Delete
  4. I am so in love with this. I just read your comment above and you're so right I buy these gorgeous art journals and then can't bring myself to use them, it's crazy for sure. Have a great week my creative friend. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Ang, and we're all a little bit crazy, I'd say. :D Have a great week, my friend! xo

      Delete
  5. The looseness of the mixed media made paper paired with the very precise bookkeeping is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Eileen - is it any wonder I can hardly stop the bookmakin?! :D

      Delete
  6. It's amazing to be able to follow the creative process!
    Thank you for everything you share with us.
    And once again, bravo my friend for your many treasures (made themselves with other treasures), your incredible talent, your perseverance and your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Sim - it's just such a wonderful thing to be working in mixed media, throwing so many techniques together and them hoping for the best. :D What a wonderful this this creative process is to give us such joy, isn't it?!!!

      Delete
  7. Qué gran artista!!
    El libro es espectacular...me encantan todos los materiales que lo hace tan original.

    BESOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much MJ - this was huge fun to create!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...