Thursday 2 March 2023

It's wild in the studio...

 ...and a wee bit earthy (or at least as earthy as I ever get), with the latest lesson in Tracy Verdugo's Abstract Mojo.  The assignment was to create a raft of organic-looking marks on both white printer paper and kraft paper using bits and pieces of things gathered from the outside.  Naturally, the day I was doing this, it snowed.  I improvised by using some of my dried greenery for mark-making, some of my hand-crafted stencils, and a great deal of imagination.  It was, of course, near-impossible to stop, 'cause you know how much I love to make paper!  


Step two was to paint a background for the papers on a sheet of watercolour paper, another fun playtime.


In the demo, Tracy then collaged the papers over the entire piece before cutting into three pieces.  I did the reverse, and either way is fine.


I lay the torn bits of paper out before applying liquid medium to stick 'em down.


I did some additional mark-making in both the background and on the torn pieces to create some push-pull.

Although well out of my normal colour comfort zone (I am in major experimental model with both colour and technique), I think they make interesting strata pieces.




And during some play with the camera, I found this 'Noir' mode, which I like as well.  

I will play with these some more, adding more layers, and no doubt pushing them well beyond acceptability - what could be more fun?!

Hope you've had a lot of creative dance in your week - tell me what you're doing in the comments below, please?!!!

6 comments:

  1. The strata pieces turned out so well! How could they not with all the expressive mark making.
    The noir setting in photo editing has been so valuable for me in assessing values in watercolour painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO hard to stop with the mark-making and really get on with the reason for the lesson. It's a sadness in my life that I can't possibly use up all the paper I could make! :D I agree with using the vrious photo editing filters - great way to see one's work in a different way.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to finally see your post this week I was getting worried about you.
    This is very cool. When you started out I was a bit confused as to what exactly you were doing, but I have to say I love the results.
    We are just down here trying to keep our heads above the snow line. lol
    Take care of you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back on track with posting, Deann; I've been experimenting so much (with so many 'disasters') that I've really had nothing to say. :D I enjoyed the strata play, and am looking forward to doing the process again once I've finished the balance of my lessons.

      We, too, are trying to keep above the snow, as we wait (impatiently, I admit) for the arrival of spring. February seemed like the longest month in the year, rather than the shortest!

      Sending many hugs, and a helium-filled balloon to keep you flying high! xo

      Delete
  3. LOVE these, Win. And I enjoyed seeing the process. You got to express your colourful personality on those backgrounds :) And the results look great - a bit 'landscape' a bit 'strata', with the b/w showing how well you've balanced everything. Might need to do some of my own experiments with this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - I very much enjoyed playing with these, and look forward to having another go at them (I suspect the colours will NOT be the normal strata thing :D ).

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...