Thursday 9 March 2023

Squirrel!

Like most creatives, I'm easily distracted.  I'm 'supposed' to be working on Tracy Verdugo's Abstract Mojo course, and I am - truly.

But each month I pull an art prompt from the stash (some of which I've created, some suggested by other artists, and some from Tracy.  The one for March was the latter, a request that we choose three disparate shapes and  and draw them in different sizes, layering as desired, to create an abstract.   I used a background 'in progress' piece to start and chose a necklace, a slotted spoon and a mask for the shapes.


I wanted some more punch in the shapes, so I added a yellow highlighter to all the masks, a green highlighter to the necklace, and a blue one to the spoon.


The desire to move the background into the back had me adding grey to those areas, and while I can see progress, I'd like to push it back even more.  That would be great, but - squirrel!



I received an email from Ali Manning at Vintage Page Designs to let me know that she is participating in this year's 6h Annual Sketchbook Revival, and her segment features a free tutorial for an upcycled Traveler's Journal.  So of course, I had to start one right away.  I headed down to Gleaner's (our local upcycling place extraordinaire) to purchase a book or two.  For $1 each, I found four of them, three of which are of a size that will host a project that has been sitting on one of my tables for months  years for lack of knowledge.


After removing the book block in the first one, I've added the not-yet-dried fabric to the spine, and enhanced it with my crystalline paper over part of the gorgeous endpapers on the inside cover.


I'm not certain how Thoreau would feel about the situation, but rest assured, the rest of the book will be used as well.  His writing is exquisite and will make lovely additions to collages.  I'm just so enamoured of the stunning end papers I could eat them.


Meanwhile, the in-progress abstracted floral sits on another table, waiting for some extreme help!


And a birthday card had to be created for a gym buddy - he is the most dedicated fitness guru I know, having worked out for over 50 years.  It's hard to imagine he's turning 76 - he looks well over 20 years younger.

And another table holds a host of in-progress pieces that require further extensive enhancements or more experimentation.  Truly, who could have a better life than an artist?  It's hard to imagine!

Now I'd better get back to the - oh, SQUIRREL!!!

6 comments:

  1. WoWeeee! so much going on here and those pieces at the end are fabulous and can't wait to see how you use them. I do find it difficult to cut books up but I know you will make it worth while. I'm with you on the Mojo Abstract. I would have to go round the shapes but not sure whether to go lighter or darker and will wait in anticipation at you decision. Sending excited hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, it's just a wee bit overwhelming, with all the squirrelishness going on here. Hard to keep my head above water, and even harder to work on one thing at a time. The creative life is just the BEST!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely inspiration as usual, Win. Last week got a bit lost for me as I ended up working three days in the bookshop instead of my usual one. What a difference it made! Thinking about Easter at the moment and how to bring some creativity into church for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well imagine how two days out of a week in an already-busy schedule would have really put a crimp in your time. Good thing it's not going to happen this week, right?! I look forward to hearing what you come up with for your creative boost for Easter! xo

      Delete
  3. You my dear are a lady of varied and limitless talents. I don't know how you keep track of all your wonderful creations. I can hardly wait to see where all these lovelies end up.
    I hope the weather isn't having it's way with you and we will both see Spring soon. All the best to you my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann - and keeping track of it all is why my tables are always such a mess. :D We are currently experiencing rain in the valley, so that bodes well for the creeping approach of spring. May it be the same in your area, albeit faster than creeping. Sunshine, blue skies, and pussy willow buds everywhere! Happy week, dear friend!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...