Thursday 25 November 2021

While the muse...

 ...was back in the studio this week, the spatial relationship brain took a holiday.  What was supposed to be an easy book form took a whole lot longer than it 'should have'.

There were a couple of reasons for this.  I decided to use a hodge-podge of gel prints, all of which were decidedly unappealing, so the organization of them took some time.


And my decision to do something different with the Typar cover meant the directions I found on Vintage Page Designs required some finagling.  Well, not some really - a lot.


Of course, I made my usual plethora of mistakes (apparently that's also part of my learning curve).


Eventually, however, I managed to stitch/cut/sort/cover and create this accordion concertina book form.



By the time I finish the inside (and won't that be a challenge with all those unloved pages?!!!) and form a box for it, I'm hoping it will be a lovely repository for a ton of 💓💕💖💗💝💞💟.  For some reason, my collection of these has grown by leaps and bounds these past two years.

And I did mention last week that I had something in mind for the collage of paper strips.  During the week I finished a small painting with it, and enjoyed adding some textural elements.  The background is one I created with a dryer sheet technique some months ago.

'Hwy 340' collage on wood panel 4" x 4" 2021 © Win Dinn


'Hwy 340' collage on wood panel 4" x 4" 2021 © Win Dinn

A quick count tells me that I now have 6 or 7 journals to complete on the inside, one large painting on the go, paper partly completed for another star book, and so much more.  This is really living the creative life, isn't it?!

12 comments:

  1. I'm loving your art work but can't wait to see what you do inside these journals as that is always the point I get stuck. I'm loving the way you've used those paper strips, you know I can't throw anything away so the more ideas the better. I have opened one of my journals again but how long it will take me to do something is a different matter. I've bought some sticker books which I thought might inspire Mr Mojo so we'll see. Have a lovely creative week. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me smile, Angela. I do love the short-term projects (card-making, mini books, small paintings) and agree that journals can be overwhelming. They seem to go on and on and on. My large journal is one that's been in the works for about four years and has become a 'test that thought' area to try things. Some pages a interesting and become paintings or books on the theme, and others stop an idea in its track due to extreme ugliness. :D Here's to some inspiration with those stickers in the journals - happy week, my friend!

      Delete
  2. As lately you’ve been showing us books, it took me a bit to recognize the painting was not a book. It makes a terrific hang on the wall painting but it would have been a desirable book cover too. Our art practice can flow from one thing to another so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Eileen, and I suspect that could happen in the near future, given that I've got so many of these strips, and constantly create more of them. Thanks for the idea! And how true that it all flows together. I am reminded over and over again that every aspect of my practiced art truly leads to another, whether or not it is successful in its own right.

      Delete
  3. Oh I do love a handmade book and this one looks amazing! Those colourful strips look so yummy and pronounced against the grey background - much more of a statement than if they covered the entire front and back. The collages strips look great too as they wrap around the panel! Well done Win! Enjoy the rest of the week and thanks so much for your visit - always appreciated! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Zsuzsa...I just love Typar house wrap, whether in the 'natural' grey or painted to the max, and the combination on this book is fun, isn't it?! And as Eileen suggested, I rather suspect those strips will combine yet again for a totally different book cover look. Happy week, my friend.

      Delete
  4. Oh wouaouh! These objects are MA-GNI-FICENT, whether it is the accordion book or the painting of painted strips, it is really too beautiful, and classy, and they make you want to do such beautiful things. Bravo Win, you are a fairy art! Stay who you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Sim...these were both fun projects to do, and the learning curve on books is definitely getting shorter. Now all I need to do is fill them with something fun! xo

      Delete
  5. 'Should have' can go whistle! And 'mistakes' are just a different way of doing things. They may not be the best way, but they certainly teach us why the other way works better :)
    Love the textures on your wood panel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the should haves - on any 'shoulds' when it comes to that! Glad you caught the textures on the panel - on a tiny piece like that they definitely don't jump up and hit you. :D Happy week, my friend!

      Delete
  6. I love that cover with the heart ribbon...you had me at the heart, but the ribbon itself is exquisite. It's all very lovely. I learn more from my mistakes mostly because I remember them longer. Great job girl friend, keep on keeping on but take some time to enjoy the Christmas season. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann...I'm all over hearts, all the time. ;-) The Typar cover (and painted Typar ribbon) seem to be made for each other, somehow. :D And yes, mistakes somehow seem to cement things in, don't they?

      Yes, Christmas plans are in progress, as John scrubs the leaves of the Christmas tree (a 7' croton) and digs out the decorations. We're hoping the visiting family today will help us decorate - it's always so much fun to see what the 15 month old boy will do for entertainment. :D Happy week, Deann, to you and yours...xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...