Thursday 4 November 2021

In 2019, . . .

... months before the pandemic started I was approached by Ruth Bieber, a local blind dramatist and artist, to assist her with a project.  She was eager to create a body of conceptual acrylic works in vibrant colours, and asked me, along with two other artists (Marnie Temple and Lisa Benschop), to help her with the plan.  She had painted before, eagerly followed the progress of other blind artists, and was passionate about painting.  And so, a collaboration began that I could never have imagined.

You can see here that Ruth is a woman of vision and determination.  In spite of the countless issues surrounding her, she's managed to create a body of work (some 22+ pieces) amidst one of the most difficult times in the history of the world; her show officially opens here on Saturday.

You can find other posts about Ruth's work in this blog by keying her name in the search bar on the right.  Suffice to say that the works are uniquely hers, driven by her concepts, utilizing colours she has chosen, and as much as possible, done with her own hands.

The working process was filmed by local Mark Wolfe of Westword Communications; you can view it here.  It's a fascinating video that goes deeply into Ruth's process and concepts around what she calls 'blind art'.

I know that many of you will be unable to view the show in person even as it tours, so I'm providing some photos that have not been shown here before.  All her works are textural to the max; just imagine your hands running slowly over the hills and valleys to get the full effect, and then do it again with your eyes closed.

'Undercurrents'  Ruth Bieber '  18" x 36"  2021


'Desert Storm'  Ruth Bieber 20" x 16" on canvas 2021


'Found a Feather'  Ruth Bieber  20" x 16" on canvas 2021


'Playtime'  Ruth Bieber 
 32" x 30" 2015 & 2021


'Red'  Ruth Bieber 16" x 12" 2021


'Blues'  Ruth Bieber  16" x 12" 2020-2021

I am excited to see the show, Beyond the Horizon, at the Tilted Brick Gallery on Saturday, knowing the dedication, passion and love for colour that Ruth has brought to this venture.  She is an amazing woman, and an ascending star in the world of blind art.  Many congratulations, Ruth!

18 comments:

  1. Α HUGE THANK YOU for sharing the photos with us, Win. As I live in Greece, I cannot see the show. These works are FABULOUS, I understand how difficult it is for a blind person to make them. But Ruth is a great artist and she deserves congratulations. You deserve congrats too because you help her, it is really kind of you. I am going now to watch the video. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Mia - that's so kind of you to say so. Ruth's process and dedication to her art is fabulous, and she has an adventurous spirit that I so admire. Wonderful in so many ways!

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing ! It's great that you could help her in this journey! Fantastic! hugs my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corrie - it's been an amazing experience to work with Ruth!

      Delete
  3. Rochelle Christensen4 November 2021 at 09:15

    Very cool to see it all come together! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle - I do hope that you can get a chance to visit the show...it's been such a large part of the last two years! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Win, it's always a pleasure to see Ruth's work and just wish I could be there to share this time with you both but I know it will be a great success. Happy creating, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela - I do wish you could be here as well! Have a fantabulous week, my friend! xo

      Delete
  5. Well, here is a beautiful gift that you give us.
    All these works are of great plastic richness (... Plastic Arts, of course, because I don't know how you say it in English :).
    I was able to attend, with great pleasure, your period of mutual development; and I have the impression of having shared a little your adventure.
    And I thank you a lot dear friend!
    Good luck with the exhibit and congratulations to both of you (four actually :)
    Continue like that! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed Ruth's adventures; she is an outstanding woman in every way, and her foray into the visual arts as a blind artist truly amazes me. Big thanks, my friend. xo

      Delete
  6. Shades of Van Gogh, such beautiful artwork has she been blind all her life? Because she has such a feel for the subjects she has created. Thank you my friend for sharing her talent with us, and best wishes to Ruth in her art career. Have a great week and take care of you. I'm going to go watch your shows. Hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here commenting, Deann, and to answer your question, Ruth started to lose her sight during grade three in her childhood, so she has a memory of most colours (since indigo was not a common name for colour in her childhood, that's one she cannot visualize). I definitely agree about her feel for colour and movement - she is most talented. Enjoy to video, dear friend!

      Delete
  7. These paintings are thought provoking especially after hearing Ruth speak about the experience of being an artist when one is blind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Eileen - while the process is somewhat different for Ruth (hands on everything!), the passion is undoubtedly there. It's an amazing body of work!

      Delete
  8. Oh, how I wish I could get to see it all in person. I can imagine all those textures from the photos and titles, but in person I'm sure there's so much more to appreciate! Well done, Ruth and I hope the exhibition is a huge success. Now I shall go and watch the video with huge anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could do so as well, Tracy (could you not have been moving to Canada rather than Australia? :D ). The texture is truly wonderful, and the photos cannot give the sense of energy there is in these paintings. Hope you enjoyed the video! xo

      Delete
  9. That's pretty amazing - congrats to both of you! I would love to be able to run my fingers through those textures! Will people visiting the exhibition be allowed to do that, I wonder? Have a lovely week, Win! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Zsuzsa. And yes, those who visit will be able to do exactly that, with sanitizer provided, of course. Originally, the intent was to have the option to preview the paintings blindfolded, and then again sighted, but the pandemic has put a run on that, unfortunately!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...