Thursday 29 July 2021

Can you hear me cackling?

I've been in Mad Mixed Media Scientist mode this week.  For some time I've been wanting to test dryer sheets on wood panels with the same technique I've used for cheesecloth.  Here's one of the results, used on a painting background.  



It's luscious whether used over another colour, or on a white gessoed panel, don't you think?


And I finally managed to find a roll of Typar house wrap.  I've been on the last of my 100', seven-year-old roll, and knew I needed more.  When I scored some, I just had to whitewash it and then throw some alcohol ink at it, followed by stencil work.  While it's not done yet, I think it's looking pretty juicy already.


The closeups are even more fun... the grey house wrap gives a subtle textural look underneath all that colour.


Now there is a reason for the madness, of course.  I want to create a cover for the second Coptic book in process, and I'm all about the subtlety, right?  😄


The stack of signatures awaits the completion of the cover 'fabric', and with some beeswax to wax the thread, I'm definitely going to be in business.  

On another corner of the table, I've got a stack of toppers which have been created through Ruth's studio time.  Every time we had leftover mediums of any sort or unused paint, we threw it at a piece of canvas.  They're going to make fabulous cards for sale at her November show.

There are other projects on the go, of course, and a list as long as the taxman's reach of things I have yet to try.  Here's to experimentation, failures and successes!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Loving those textures, Win. And luscious colours for your book cover - wonderful! It's always a bit anxious when we near the end of some great material, isn't it? We can become a bit stingy with it. Glad you found some more house wrap. No idea what we would call that here in the UK, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - me too. And I agree about running out of things...sometimes it's OK (but not too often :D ). I think it's called house wrap in the UK as well. The brand I like best is the Typar, but Tyvek is the most common one worldwide, I think?!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! I love them both but the colour and design on the Typar is amazing. I think the experimentation part is better than the actual making bit especially when you have no idea what you will use the end product for. Sometimes when I start a project and then have to prep some background I feel stifled by how I think it should look and it spoils the process whereas if I just play with the materials with no end in sight things seem to turn out much better. Hope you understand what I mean. I have a big role of that material left over from when they altered the conservatory roof, might have to have a play with it......but then I have lots of stuff that I should do something with, I'm a disgrace to be sure. Pleased you liked my Gumball machine, it's in the house at the moment but no idea where it will end up! Take care and stay safe. Biggest hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Typar was great fun to do...and I do agree about the experimentation aspect. I've had some amazing duds that way, but sometimes just the exact opposite. Expectations stifle, don't they, so it's much more fun just to play! And by all means, play with your house wrap...I've burned stencils (see tutorials above), painted it, melted it, and much, much more.

      Looking forward to your next project - that gumball machine is outstanding!!! Hugs, Win

      Delete
  3. Juicy, my word - that's an understatement! I must look up that house wrap thing! The dryer sheets look amazing too - very unusual and unique textures there. And Ruth's stack is breath-taking as well! So much yumminess, I don't know where to look - I'm just jumping from one to the other! Keep on creating, Win! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zsuzsa - the weeks when I'm just experimenting and playing are truly the most fun. I suspect you and I are Mad Mixed Media scientists at heart. :D xo

      Delete
  4. Love those colours and texture. You are on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie...don't you just love it when the Muse is present?! So much fun!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, everything looks so rich with colour. That Typar paper shows off the vibrancy of inks very well. Do you use other mediums on it?
    What a treasure those little canvases, made with leftover paint, are going to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with some more experimentation, the Typar will 'learn' to do even more. :D And yes, the second photo of the Typar shows a strong diagonal line - the area on the bottom right was actually acrylic paint, while the area on the left is alcohol ink (then sprayed with workable fixative). Both are topped with stenciled acrylic paint areas.

      I agree that those leftovers will make awesome cards, Eileen - some are juicy to the max!

      Delete
  6. Love all those colours and textures. My first Coptic binding was a bit loose, but I am sure I know what I did wrong, so will be having another go soon. That house wrap is an expensive purchase! Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you've managed your first binding, Angela. Having just finished my second, I can tell you that IT was the tight one, so I need to go in the other direction! :D

      I agree about the house wrap, but knowing it will last 8-10 years for both myself and students gives me the justification...I'm really good a justifying the cost of art supplies, right?!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...