Thursday 7 March 2024

The photo/document sort...

 ...and purge continues.  This week I've been ironing documents (and there's a phrase I never expected to use).  A small suitcase, well over a hundred years old, turned out to be full of scrunched up/rolled up/creased and abused documents from my maternal grandparents, both born in the 1880's.  My grandmother's birth certificate, some of which is written in Gaelic, shows her born October 13, 1886, in Clontonacally, district of Ballylesson, county Down, Ireland.  The document measures 7 1/4" x 16 1/4" in size, a fair bit bigger than the wallet size ones I have.


I was amused to find two copies of my grandfather Anderson's baptism certificate, and I'm sure there's a story behind that.  Did his mother request one that was legible after receiving the first scratched-out one?  I've love to know what happened there. 


I found a photo of my maternal great-grandmother, Eliza Jane Maxwell, and she looks a right matriarch, doesn't she?


It makes me laugh to look at this since I can see a similarity between her and a recent  4 a.m. gag photo I took for my kids (entitled Bedhead with Family).


Can it really be true that the family genetics are that strong??!!

With all the sorting and ironing, I had little time this week for studio play, apart from sporadic working on a piece of scrap that had a watercolour technique start.  Given I know next to nothing about watercolour, that was pretty much a fail, but the followup has been fun.

And surely I'll get back to the creative side of the studio soon...I just have to clear all these pieces of memory first!  Hope your week has been fun-filled and warm with the light of inspiration.

7 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post. Your travel through your family history must be thought provoking. I almost didn’t recognize you in that picture. Your maternal great-grandmother likely was as spirited as you despite having to sit so soberly for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My very early morning look is quite amazing, right? 🤣 And given my grandmother and Mom's wacky sense of humour, I suspect G--G-Grandma Maxwell was much the same. And I'm loving the travel through time, especially the vintage photos. They were so straight-faced it truly amazes me. I'm goggle-eyed with amazement they could even do that.

      Delete
  2. Good Lord, Deann - I'm howling with laughter. Your description 'I look like something my family picked up off trail, on the way west.' just has me in stitches...it could be so aptly applied to me. I do understand how you have gotten so wrapped up in your ancestral hunt. It seems to be a growing obsession with me as well, and it's the photos and documents that have me truly hooked.

    Sending hugs to you and your lineup of ancedral family; they have produced a winner in your being, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Win, I think as we grow older this likeness becomes more obvious. I have become much more like my mother the older I get. The birth certificate is very similar to the ones we have and the marriage certificates are similar too. I love old family photos and have quite a collection mostly from my mother's side of the family. Loving the new art work too. Thank you for your kind comments over at mine too. Hugs Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's true that age makes us all look more alike (I had a very bratty young friend at one point who called all seniors raisins 🤣. I have always looked like my mother, who looked like hers, so it's little wonder it went up the line from there! Lovely to have you visit here, my friend - may your week be filled with the glory of vintage photos and creativity!

      Delete
  4. Amazing photo - you could be twins 🤣 Those long birth certificates and marriage certificates from the UK and Ireland are a real pain in these modern days as they don't fit on an A4 piece of paper for scanning. Most inconsiderate!

    Loving that piece you're working on. The colours and shapes are so pleasing. I agree with Deann about watercolours. I am in awe of those who can produce beautiful delicate pieces with them. I think I'm just too impatient, ending up with mud.

    And yes, it's been warm here, with the sunshine rather than inspiration, though. The bookshop I work in one day a week is moving premises this weekend, just a few doors down into a new building, but it's a lot of books on a very hot weekend (36C ish), so I shall be especially warm on Sunday and Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twins, indeed, Tracy. 🤣 I roard with laughter when I found that one. I'm in total agreement with the size of those birth certificates...only a photo will get them all, which, I suppose is the point.

      As to watercolours, I can see it's likely to be a lost cause, but that won't stop me from trying, even if they just won't stick. ;-)

      Oh my goodness...that move is going to be very hot - may it go quickly and easily with many hands so you're not sweltering for too long. Sending thoughts of air conditioning and cooling winds!! 💗

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...