Thursday 11 May 2023

Distractibility should be my middle name...

 ...as it's certainly the way my studio days go.

I started with a play prompt for the month which was to gesso  a book spread, loosely draw objects with charcoal and play with it using fingers, wet brush, etc.


I actually completed it within the first two weeks of May - yay for me!  And since I had both the book and gesso out, I gessoed another spread, scribbled back into the gesso with the 'wrong' end of a paintbrush, and used the inks sitting nearby to play. 


 I love the way the very yellowed pages of the ancient book show through and the pop-up of words that  resisted all those layers.  

I suspect these techniques would be a lot of fun to use on that very big panel, 


which I was supposed to be starting on this past week.


I did manage to get back to cutting on that scribble stencil,


but didn't get too far before I had to test it on the aforementioned book pages to make sure it was what I intended.


And, of course, there is a painting started for an upcoming granddaughter's third birthday next month, and it's hardly past the conception stage.  I really need to get at it!!  Truly, it's not helpful that there are three+ tables in the studio to keep projects on the go.


Meanwhile, my brain is sidetracked again as I look at the pile of books 'in process' on the sideboard table and wonder when I'll get back to them.  The possibilities on all counts are endless, and so is my furiously distractible mind.  I LOVE being an artist.

8 comments:

  1. I am so in loved with the technique you used for the monthly prompt and it looks great too. Those inks look lush on the page and I look forward to seeing how you finish those pages. The scribble stencil is a grfeat idea but doesn't look easy to cut out, you could do with some very pointed scissors to cut in to the gaps. You're not the only one that gets distracted I can tell you which is why I have so m ay things around mgy desk waiting to be used. Wishing you a very happy, creative and productive week. Hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun prompt, and not one that I'd necessarily thought of on my own, given my underwhelmed enthusiasm for drawing. :D I do have the pointed scissors, but the Typar is tricky to cut...it may never be the outstanding stencil I'm wanting but I'll wait and see how it goes!

      Delete
  2. There is something about charcoal that is so artistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree there, although I've not used it much since I took classes at ACAD in Calgary. It's something I could do more of though as that was a fun exercise!

      Delete
  3. Loving the splashes on those altered book pages. Looks like you had fun with that :) As for the three tables - well there are downsides to everything. I'd love to have more space, but can see that having a lot of projects on the go might be more distracting than productive, although getting things out of the head and on to paper/the table/canvas might be helpful. I'm sure they'll reach the finish line eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued with the way the yellowed pages peeked through - it was an unexpected bonus to working with a very old book! As for reaching the finish line - that may or may not happen, given that I keep adding projects to the lineup. :D

      Delete
  4. Looking at your work reminds me how wonderful and unique art can be. You cover so many different styles and looks and each one is lovely. However if I had to cut those holes in your scribble stencil I would lose my mind. You are the best my dear. Have a wonderful week. Best wishes and big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deann, I can tell you that stencil will not be a quick cut - my patience lasts for about 57 nanoseconds before I have to leave it for a few days. :D It's truly lucky that I have so many other things on the go, so I can forget about it for a while. ;-) Happy week, my friend, and even better creating! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...