Thursday 26 May 2022

Things are ticking right along...

...in the studio.  Finishing the 'Take Heart' journal meant I could carry forward with a slip case, and this one has a different clasp than others I've done.  


You really have to love Velcro, right?   


The largish heart on the front has a strip sandwiched between the back papers of the slip case.


That creates a band to secure the book inside.  I learned several things when making this book and case, mentioning before that the book style is not the best when one has a yen to add layer upon layer.  It would make a more elegant book had it three or four pages to each signature.  Will I remember that the next time?  Maybe.  😄

The slip case was problematical given than I wanted to use both painted Typar as well as its original greyed surface.  I used cardstock and adhered the Typar to both sides, finding it challenging (at the least) to fold and secure.  A layer of printer paper would have been a better choice.


All in all, though, I'm happy with the look and feel, and love the wide variety of the heart quotes inside.


I managed to finish the painting for our grandaughter this week as well.  'Chloe's Blues Clues Birthday' is ready to be on its way.



A great advantage of having grandchildren is that one doesn't lose sight of the important cartoon characters on the go.  😉

As well, I thought you'd have a laugh at this 'oh-good-grief-its-ugly' stage of the Arcturus painting.  As always when paintings are at this stage, I'm wondering whether I can get it safely out of the mess it's in!


I'm looking forward to seeing where you're at in your week.  Happy creating and may the rest of your spring be brightly filled with sunshine and blue skies!  

17 comments:

  1. I love the gray and the texture on your Take Heart cover. It's such a beautiful journal It deserves a great cover and the beautiful heart is just the right touch.
    You did a fantastic job on your granddaughters painting so cute and clever. She will love it.
    The last picture looks as if it can't make up it's mind, but I have great faith in your transforming abilities and I know it will be a masterpiece before you are finished with it.
    Happy creating and a wonderful week to you my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann - I am happy with the learning on Take Heart - it's always great to get some hands-on knowledge under the belt. I'm pleased with Chloe's painting, and hope she will be as well, 'cause she's not old enough yet to fake it. 😁 The Artcturus painting comment is bang on - and hopefully it will make up its mind darn soon. 😉 Happy week, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a wonderfully chunky journal, Win! I do love them chunky and that cover fits it perfectly! Adorable canvas for your granddaughter - so very special! I LOL-ed at your 'oh-good-grief-its-ugly' remark - so funny, and of course not ugly at all. Thanks so much for your visit and encouragement - I'm getting there, I think. I'm already in a much better place than I was earlier this year. Sending you lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Zsuzsa, for your comments and for stopping by to say hello! And while I'm hopeful, as always for the Arcturus painting, one never knows, right? 😅 So happy to know you're doing better and that things are looking up! Sending love, Win

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This case is impressive and very classy. I love the hearts in opposition to the gray textures and, top of the top, reversing the heads and tails sides. I adoooooore!
    The card will please your little girl, I'm sure, it's so cute.
    As for the Arcturus painting, I can't wait to see what you come up with! But I have complete faith in your creative genius my dear.
    Always take so much pleasure in creating, and may your spring be happy and warm.
    Lots of kisses across the ocean flew to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Sim. I'm pleased with the case and book, and Chloe's painting was really fun to do. I'm not so sure about the Arcturus painting - I'm hoping for a miracle. 🤣 Sending big hugs, my dear friend. xo

      Delete
  5. Hi Win, the case looks great and works so well at protecting the journal but yes you will have to be careful how much more you try to push in it Lol!. The cartoon painting is gorgeous. It must be great to have an excuse for making something like this. What fun. I think some of the most successful pieces have an ugly stage...it's the Law Lol! Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela - it's been a fun week with all the range of play. And I agree that it's a blast to play with cartoons - bless those grandbabies for keeping me hopping to something new. And here's to ugly becoming something successful!!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oops! meant to say, the term crop is an abbreviation and though I'm not hundred percent the meaning of it as referred to craft crops it is often used to refer to 'Communities Reaching Out to People' so I'm guessing it's something like that. Hope that helps. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Win, you might think you could have made some better choices of material for the heart book and its case, but it's wonderful! (Or maybe I should say 'Winderful'?)
    And I have no doubt that you'll steer your painting out of the ugly stage. You always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Tracy on both counts. Enjoying the 'Winderful' 😂. Here's to conquering ugly! xo

      Delete
  8. What an eclectic group of projects. Do you find they influence each other when you are working or are they very separate in your mind as you work on them.
    I know so little about cartoon characters, so creating such a piece looks challenging to me. Well done to venture into this other world.
    The Velcro closure is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow they don't seem to overlap much; I'm more likely to be influenced by something I find when I'm hunting for something else! 🤣 Thank you for commenting here - I'd appreciate you leaving (even your first) name when you do. It helps me to keep those darn spammers out of here. 😉

      Delete
  9. Your journal cover looks fabulous and I love that litlte painting for your granddaughter ! It was a great week for you ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so much fun to move from one style to another...mixed media is surely the most fun ever, Corrie!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...