Thursday 3 March 2022

It's in the stars...

 ...well, at least in the star book (#2) which is now assembled into its proper form.  


While small (3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1"), 



it's already packed with some great detail, including some hand-crafted, quietly sneaky paper beads on the spine.

I'm feeling guilty for using purchased papers for two of the interior layers.  (Picture a 1920's-era heroine with back of hand to forehead, gasping in horror.)  There are a couple of reasons for this.  I didn't have enough handmade papers to complete either layer, and I was too impatient to make more painted papers, and these papers have been safely in my stash for over 20 years, as I couldn't bear to 'waste' them. I suspect some of you can relate.  🙃  How wrong is that?!!!


The topmost inner layer (and the last for assembly) is the deliciously marbled orange one above, and the next one in is by the same maker in blue.  I MUST learn how to create such stunning marbled papers in this lifetime.


The other two are quinacridone gold and umber papers which I painted.  Of course the cover is my hand-painted paper as well.

The next step will be to add embellishments, should I be able to bring myself to cover any of this mouth-wateringness.  I've been considering making skins from these lovely pen and ink drawings from the book I borrowed from the library.  It is chock-full of gorgeous drawings


and some wonderful calligraphy.


What's your vote gang?  Embellish, or not?  An inquiring mind waits with bated breath.

Yet to come is the case for this - I've already painted both sides of the paper I'll use for that, so it might even show up in this century.  In the meantime I'm wishing you a terrific week filled with world-wide good news and light energy.

12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Win but it is my humble opinion that you shouldn't embellish those gorgeous hand painted pages because it would take the focus away from your painting, they are wonderful as they are. The marbled pages are fantastic too, wonderful work, love the little beads too.
    Have a lovely artsy week my friend. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't be sorry, Deann - it's great to have my instinct repeated in yours. I love the way they look already and gilding the lily is really a waste of time and energy, right?!! xo

      Delete
  2. I just love these and I can well understand why it would be difficult to attach anything over the top of them but you could add an additional page with transparent paper and add maybe sentiments to it. I've done this myself in the past and it's lovely to be able to see the patterns below. Have a lovely creative week. Hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought, Angela, and I've done that before on some other book projects...so many ways to play!!

      Delete
  3. What a visual feast! And don't we all have those things in our stash that we don't want to 'waste'? :) And while those marbled ones are lovely, my favourite is your cover paper - wonderful brush marks and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Tracy. We artists are a crazy bunch, aren't we? 😃 Saving papers for something special so they never get out of the drawer. I'm very fond of that cover paper as well, so hope NOT to save it forever!

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, you did it again! A book-star marvel!
    (YOU are a star yourself! :)
    It is MA-GNI-FI-CENT, really.
    The marbled papers are too, it would have been a shame to leave them in a drawer, wouldn't it?
    Once again, I'm in awe in front of your talent Win.
    As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't dare to embellish these superb pen drawings; maybe you could? But if not, what will you do with these beautiful images?
    Have a good, fulfilling and creative time my friend.
    ( Many thanks for your clever comment sweet heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Sim, on all counts. And I'm just delighted that I finally got those papers used and on show. I'm leaning towards no further embellishment on the book at all...I just love all the papers too much to add anything to them. Onwards and upwards for both of us, my friend! xo

      Delete
  5. Te quedó fantástico!!
    Yo guardo algunos papeles especiales, pero no llego a veinte años... tú has aguantado mucho tiempo 🤭👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻


    BESOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh out loud, MJ. And if truth were really told, it could have been even longer. We artists are really crazy, no? 😂

      Delete
  6. Your star book looks amazing and you don’t need to feel guilty for using bought papers. Especially when they are as beautiful as these are. It will be a joy having them to hand to look and touch them. I quite enjoy using Designer paper for some projects fi. when I have not as much time. Anyway, as I said, fabulous book! Corrie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Corrie, and I'll let that guilt trip take a long and arduous hike somewhere else. I rarely buy paper anymore, but when I do, it's likely to be spectacular marbled paper. They are so very hard to resist!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...