Thursday 24 June 2021

Don't you just love summer?

 The weather is so warm and beautiful, the skies are so blue and the sunshine lifts the spirits.  We've been out enjoying all of that and the ability to actually travel locally.  Just up the Kootenay Lake from us is a spot we'd wanted to visit for some time, and this past week we did so. 

The Glass House is a marvel of construction started in the early 1950's utilizing glass embalming fluid bottles (you can guess what occupation that gentleman held, right?).





If you're in our area, I truly recommend the tour...it's truly mind-boggling what can be done with 600,000+ embalming bottles!


On the way home, I talked John into stopping so I could get a photo of my favourite fence - it's nearly as wonky as am I!  Were I able and had the program, I'd be painting that fence white and adding a wide range of polka dots in vibrant colours!

I've had little time in the studio this past week, but did manage to get some more mini books done.  With only three more of the seventeen to go, I'm hopeful I can get them in the mail and on their way to their new owners within the coming week.  Not before time, right?

With the loosening of the Covid restrictions, I'm delighted to have been working with Ruth Bieber for the last couple of weeks, and we are hoping to finish the nineteenth piece this week.  Covid has certainly turned this project into a marathon.  Here's a detail sneak peak of a recent piece.


I'm hoping that wherever you are in the world, you're enjoying the seasons, getting safely out and about, and having the creative time of your life.  Here's to living the dream. 🌞 πŸ·πŸŒ„

πŸŒžπŸŒ»πŸŒ„πŸŒž

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great recycling project! Who knew embalming fluid bottles could be so beautiful? Love the new piece you're working on with Ruth. Is that cheesecloth you've used? The loose weave always prints up so gorgeously, and those shades of purple are just glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? The use of embalming fluid bottles is an upcycle that just knocks my socks off! The vision alone is outstanding, and the completion has me in awe.

      And yes, that's cheesecloth that Ruth used for her piece, and she's a purple fan extraordinaire!

      Delete
  2. Seeing the house made with glass bottles is amazing and a strange coincidence as I was just looking at a house made from plastic bottles sme people are so resourceful. The fence is fun too, very stylish Lol! reminds me of the one I made around the pond to scare off the herons. I must say that Covid has forced us to stay at home and do things and we finally got round to clearing the greenhouse today which probably should have been done ten years ago however this is the first year in about 35 that we have not been to France skiing and I have missed it lots. Pleased to see you've been having time with Ruth again. I'm off to the Craft Club on Saturday as they've reopened the hall again though with limited numbers and masks obviously. Take care my friend and craft on. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly amazing, isn't it? Funny that you were just looking at a house made from plastic bottles - I think that has so much potential in this day and age when the use of plastic is so ubiquitous and invasive!

      Congrats on getting that greenhouse clearing done - there are many positive upsides to Covid, although missing your annual ski trip is not one, I'm sure!

      Enjoy your Craft Club day on Saturday - I can hardly wait to see what you get up to there! Happy weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  3. Amazing architecture - I particularly like the rock garden - with the gnomes and all! Wonderful that you can get back together with Ruth - I look forward to seeing all your creations! Happy summer! xx zsuzsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like those gnomes, Zsuzsa, you'd love the whole place - the gardens are filled with gnomes and wonderful figurines, including a pond with a working water wheel. It's great fun!

      I'm hoping to talk Ruth into a guest blog post soon, so you can see what she's been up to! Cheers, and happy summer, my friend.

      Delete
  4. Dear Win, Just a word for telling you: Have a Super-Summer and keep on creating my friend! Thank you for your friendship. I'll be back around the begining of September. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a fabulous summer, Sim - I look forward to seeing your posts in the fall, and revelling in your oh-so-lovely artwork! xo

      Delete
  5. That glass house is amazing but it launches several questions in my over active imagination. I've seen a house made out of wine bottle they are both interesting and very cool...I love your adventures.
    The eyes definitely have it on your mini-books.
    I have just been cranking out art and sweating out the end of June. I hope you are doing okay with the heat it's so awful in Washington and Oregon I was worried about you. Take care of you. Hugs Deann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about the glass house, Deann - it truly is extraordinary. I think a house of wine bottles would be terrific, too, and suspect with the stress of Covid there would be many people who could have created one. :D

    The mini books went out in the mail this Monday, and I was delighted to send them...I'll post at least one of them in this week's blog.

    I love it that you're cranking out art - that means some wonderfully inspired time for me! I've no doubt you're sweating where you are, too. It's 6 am here, the temperature inside and out is 26 degrees Celsius (79 F) and yesterday it reached 41 C (105 F). It's expected to do the same today, so we'll be packing our emergency bags for the summer again. It's not the first time by any means, but the first where temperatures have been so extreme.

    And likewise, please take care of you and yours, and may that new air con come very soon! xo Win

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing house and I just love that wonky fence! Never seen anything quite like it.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree on both counts, Angela - thanks for stopping by and for the comment. I'm going to head over and check out your posts!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...