Thursday 23 May 2019

That was a brief hiatus...

...from fabric, and suddenly I'm back at it again.  This time, I've gel-printed a lace doily onto a canvas.


I've brayered the living daylights out of a spread in my journal in the process of painting some
cheesecloth, dryer sheets and baby wipes in the same colours.  As I've chopped, slashed and cut, there are a few odds and ends that will get added to the journal pages.  Nothing goes to waste here.


I've created some rosettes out of the various fabrics, and shredded some of the green dryer sheets to act as part of the foliage.


The Nosegay for Alice is already starting to look presentable, even without the addition of embroidery to be added.  I'm loving the organic look of the cheesecloth overlaying that gel print.


Here's a closeup of the stitched leaves (dryer sheets overlaying baby wipes) and rosettes of all sorts.


This project is going to be part of a memorial piece created by Alice Saltiel's artist friends.  She was an amazing mentor to so many of us, and it will be a wonderful group memorial to be seen at her Celebration of Life next month.  I've chosen colours that were an essential part of her palette and the nosegay is a nod to the hundreds of floral paintings she created throughout her life (over 900 in one series alone!). 

Will I ever get back to painting?  Maybe....             How about you?  What are you up to?  Do let me know in the comments below, and feel free to post a link!


18 comments:

  1. This is simply GORGEOUS Win!!! Alice will love it - I am sure she can see all the art her friends will create in memorial of her ♥♥♥♥♥
    Big hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Susi - I'm sure that Alice is loving all the pieces that are coming together on her behalf!

      Delete
  2. Thi sis lovely Win. I am sorry to hear about Alice's passing - I will miss seeing her wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the delicate colours and the cheesecloth adds wonderful texture. So sorry to learn about your friend. I've visited her blog and admired her beautiful paintings. The unicorn she painted for her granddaughter is fantastic! Your project is a lovely tribute for the memorial to celebrate her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zsuzsa - Alice was a fabulous artist on so many levels. It seems like her gift went on an on!

      Delete
  4. Oh Yes! I'm loving this. I've just finished making 18 Artist Trading Cards for a swap and I'm ready for a rest I can tell you. Will be putting some pics on my blog soon. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing those ATC's, Ang - I'll bet they're gorgeous and your rest will be well-deserved!

      Delete
  5. Your flowers are so unbelievably soft and delicate looking simple gorgeous. Love the lace print too just wonderful my friend.
    This week I have been working at my art and watching the rain fall and sprinkle and pour. The whole country is floating I hope we are still here when you stop by next time...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann - I'll be keeping fingers crossed for you that you're not totally flooded out. Keep those pontoons handy, my artistic friend! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a fitting memorial for a friend! Love those delicate flowers and the wealth of shades of colour. Who wouldn't want to work with fabric when you can produce something like that?
    In our house it's been lots of admin this week, unfortunately. Some seasons just seem to need more than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, admin - I hear you on that one. There are so many things that take us away from our art. I've often had green-with-envy moments around those men who had a host of willing women (wife, servants, lovers, models) willing to do all the grunt work for them. Where are my minions when I need them? :D

      Delete
  7. Love your roses ! They are simply beautiful ! I have not been crafting for a while. We had some visitors from the US which was great fun and to be honest I have lost my Mojo... I hope it will be back soon as I have to get on with DT work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful Win! A wonderful tribute to Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Laura - she'll have been laughing at me as I struggled with a subdued palette and her colours! :D

      Delete
  9. That is so beautiful! And such a gorgeous tribute to your friend and mentor. I love how you created those flowers. So creative and the colours are so soft and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sal - I think this multi-piece memorial will be an awesome one for Alice - her artist friends will do some outstanding work, I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Win, I have no idea, how I missed hearing about Alice's passing,but my heart aches for you and her other friends for such loss.I am truly sorry and send healing wishes to you,my friend.
    Your tribute piece is simply amazing and I am sure Alice looks over you always and knows the love you have for her.
    hugs and love to you,my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Jackie - Alice passed away in February, and it has left a huge hole in my life, as well as those of her family and myriad friends. Her Celebration of Life comes up in June, and I have no doubt that she will be watching in amazement and love. xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...