Thursday 9 May 2019

It's done,...

...and Rochelle has walked the plank runway wearing The Lunacy Gown.  I have to say she is the best looking daughter I have - a knockout.  Fortunately, she is much less of a braggart than her mom. 


Here's a video of the runway walk . . . in case you can't hear what the MC is saying, the patter that accompanied the walk is as follows: 

'Crafted from about 200 used dryer sheets, thrift store embroidery floss, tank top and threads, this Lunacy Gown has been created by Win Dinn and is being modelled by her daughter, Rochelle Christensen. The skirt of the gown is comprised of dryer sheets that have been used to mop up leftover paint in Win’s studio.  For modesty’s sake, it has been backed by a host of unpainted dryer sheets.  The floral neck embellishments and wristband are designed from the painted sheets that have been stiffened with GAC400, an aptly named Golden Artist's medium.  A Facebook APB brought in a host of donated sheets for the project, and three months of hand-stitching, blood, sweat, tears and embroidery brought the outfit to completion. It's perfectly clear that nobody in their right mind would conceive or complete a project like this one, hence the name of Lunacy Gown.'


Of course I know some of you are macro fans and want a closer look.









Of course John and I had to get in on the act, too.


There were some amazing outfits there, and I thought you should take a peek at a couple that I managed to photograph the next day.  I just love this newspaper dress by local textile artist Anne Fetterly - the thought of ironing all those pleats just has me boggled (says the woman who washes and iron dryer sheets so she can mop up paint with them). 






This dress crocheted from plastic garbage bags is dynamite.


The evening, part of Focus on Youth, included some fascinating and vibrant Trash to Treasure projects from school children as well.









Brenda Brucker, organiser extraordinaire of the evening, created this Procrastinator's Apron


and her quilt club entrants were given oddball 'gifts' with which to create something as well.  Love the photos of their scores accompanying the items they crafted.




I was truly stunned at the variety of work in the Trashion Show and the Trash to Treasure show by adults and children alike.  The creativity in this town is overwhelming.  I only wish I had more photos, but I think you're just going to have to come and see for yourself.  The show closes tomorrow, so make sure you stop in!  


And now, of course, it's on to the next project, whatever that may be . . . life as an artist, tbc.

20 comments:

  1. It was a fun evening and so many fascinating 'trashions". Your piece was great Win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Val, and I LOVED your shirt - I only wish I'd gotten a photo of it!

      Delete
  2. Oh BRAVO my dear I am blown away by your fabulous "Lunacy Gown." I love the white bodice a great touch and makes it more elegant. It is everything I envisioned and more simply gorgeous Win. The art show looks like a delight...Was that newspaper dress actually wearable? Some very cool stuff.
    I engaged in a very little lunacy this week there are two pictures on my blog featuring your dryer sheets as a backdrop or in the backdrop...Blue Horizon's from this week and coming up this Sunday "I Wish I Had Wings" Thank you so much for the use of your art it adds so much to mine I just love it. Have a wonderful Mother's Day...Hugs.
    P.S. I just had a epiphany...I recycle, recycled art go figure...what more could you want...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks, Deann - that was most definitely a project and a half! And yes, somebody modelled the newspaper dress - and it held up! Anne did a fabulous job of ironing all those pleats!!

    I thought I spotted dryer sheets in Blue Horizon, and I'll keep my eye peeled for the upcoming 'wings' piece! I just love Win-spotting in your pieces, and your epiphany is bang on. :D

    Happy Mother's Day to you, dear Deann! May your day be filled with all your favourite people...xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just 'wow!' Looking beautiful (dress AND daughter 😊) Worth all the hours in the end. A splendid creation, and just lovely to see all that creativity unleashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - it was definitely worth all the work, and certainly ranks up there under the heading 'A Favourite Piece of Insanity'! I really look forward to exploring more possibilities with dryer sheets to see 'what else can be done'. Happy week, Tracy, with creativity to the max!

      Delete
  5. That dress is sooo creative and beautiful! It makes me want to save my dryer sheets! I love all of the embroidery. That must have taken forever and a day. Love the other outfits too. People are so creative. Would have loved to have seen this show in person. What a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal - that was a project and a half...can't imagine what's next now. :D You're right - it took about 3 months of hand-stitching all the dryer sheets together and embroidering! It was a great show entirely - wish I'd had a chance to photograph everything!

      Delete
  6. Wow Win! The dress is rrrrrrreally creative and it turnout our FABULOUS!!! Your daughter is beautiful and you are a pretty lady too. Thank you for the inspiring photos you shared with us from the exhibitions. I love recycling. I send you many many kisses, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia - beauty all 'round. :D I'm such a fan of recycling it just makes me so happy to have done this project.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant variety of projects here Win, I love them all but your skirt is just fabulous. I love the Monster Prim too, he's real cute. Have a lovely creative week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Angela - the recycled projects were brilliant, and all around exciting. The monster made me grin - so unexpected! :D

      Delete
  8. Your dress came out glorious!! And Rochelle is a show stopper in it!
    WOW!! Trash to Treasure overload in this post!Great artist pieces from everyone! Shows such wonderful imagination and resourcefulness! Bravo everyone!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this theme so much, Jackie, and was astounded at the wide range of trash that was used to create some truly extraordinary pieces! It was just an outstanding show in so many ways. Thanks for stopping by to say hello, my artsy friend. xo

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic array of cool creative projects, Win! For me, the Lunacy Gown (love that name!) definitely stole the show and your daughter looks lovely modelling it. I can tell it was a labour of love, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Zsuzsa - it truly was a nutty thing to do, but so worth it in the end. I loved the whole concept of the show, and wish I could have captured all the outfits - they were totally outstanding in so many ways!

      Delete
  10. T E R R I F I C !!! I am in awe Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many thanks, Susi - it was a crazy idea, and I'm delighted it's turned out so well.

      Delete
  11. We are still travelling home, but I was finally able to get to see the video this afternoon. The lunacy gown is absolutely amazing, as is your daughter in it! It certainly interprets the "trash to treasure" idea elegantly! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Kay - it's one project that actually finished the way I envisioned, and that's not something that happens with any regularity. ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...