Thursday 1 November 2018

I just love communities...

...and the things that can be created when everyone pulls together.

This amazing banner will be wrapped around a donkey (burro?) sculpture that lives in downtown Creston on Sunday.  Brainchild of Tammy Bradford, the manager extraordinaire at the Creston Museum, it commemorates the 235 men who fought in WWI, all from the Creston Valley.


Emmie of ArtFoamies fame generously donated two sizes of poppies for stamping, along with some Stamp Buddies.  Lynne Mizera brought along several styles of her own poppy stamps and a whack of paint and stamp pads.

Tammy Bradford and Lynne Mizera
Here Tammy is testing stamps and Sharpies on the back of the canvas panel (30 foot long by 2 foot wide) that she created from a hardware paint drop sheet - a lengthy job on its own.


Lynne and I stamped poppies like madwomen, while Tammy wrote the names of all 235 soldiers - TWICE!  That way each of the names appear on both ends of the banner.


By the end of the war, there were 47 men from the valley who did not come home.  They are now memorialised on the banner with a black poppy each. 

I'll make sure to get some photos of the installation on Sunday.  As Tammy says, "Who has a better job in the world, when I get to Donkey Bomb as part of my day?"  Given that I can go along for the ride, I'm feeling the same way.

This week has been full of studio guests, and one of my students stopped in for a morning session.  Shelly and I had a blast testing colour after colour and some great techniques.


I love these one-on-one sessions - such a great way to really get into the creative juices, learn about the student's passion, and create deeper layers of meaningful artwork. 

And somewhere in the conversation was a prompt that led to this week's video.  It's all about string -


It's a favourite technique and a whack of fun to do.  Why not try it?  If you do, send a photo to me and when I have enough of them, I'll share them in a post.  

That's it for me, the soon-to-be-Donkey-Bomber, this week.  See you in the comments, my friends!

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to commemorate those who fought and those who were lost to war. I love the light, airy feel it has to it. And I love the term 'donkey bombing' - what a privilege to be able to do that.
    Last year here in Halewood the congregation knitted poppies to make a cascade that falls from the pulpit which I think will be used again this year.
    As for the string video - I'm thinking I'd love to do that on the gelli-plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved the idea, Tracy, and it was a wonderful design to create. And doesn't Donkey Bombing roll off the tongue?!!

      Your knitted poppies sounds like a fabulous spread - hope you post a photo in your blog when it's up this year.

      The string technique is great on the gel plate...well, isn't everything? :D Do send photos, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! What a fantastic banner! Awesome! What a project! And great with the one on one sessions! Sounds very good! I am looking forward to photos of the banner in action! And how cool is this string technique! I must try this out... but just now I avoid messing with acrylics.... just collaging makes me happy. But I have to make at least one messing around with colours session before x-mas and I will try it out for sure!


    Your techniques always are so special - love them all! Thank you for sharing and the fab videos always!

    Happy November

    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the donkey bombing is going to go well, Susi, and I loved working with these ladies - such fun! You'll enjoy the string technique when and if you get to it - I love the textural element it gives. Happy late autumn to you, too; - may it bring luscious colours to your studio! xo

      Delete
  3. The poppies are such a lovely idea, I really love that we honor the men who have served our countries through the years. I hope their families remember them too... I adore genealogy. Your string background is amazing.
    I am so excited you are trying Photoshop, are you winging it or taking classes? It is complicated but when you get on to it you will love it.
    If I can help in any way just ask.
    Enjoy what's left of fall my friend, warm fuzzy wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so important to remember the fallen, Deann; it's the way we can remind ourselves not to go there again, too. I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop through YouTube university; given that I'm technologically challenged, it's taking a while. You may be hearing from me much too often with questions, given your offer. And warm fuzzies right back at you, my dear friend!

      Delete
    2. I am serious if you have questions, I don't guarantee that I can answer all of them because I'm still learning. I started doing this in 2009 and I know a few things that might help. Personally I found Youtube a little confusing but I'm sure it will be a snap for you. Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Many thanks, Deann...I'll keep that in mind! xo

      Delete
  4. A wonderful idea! I will have to make sure I stop by to see the donkey as I am really curious how all of that materiel will fit. I am sure all of you had a blast and the visit with Shelly was just that bit extra - way to go Win. BTW I really like the white background on the blog as I had been having so much trouble reading it that I would read the email post then come here to comment - nice change and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great week in the studio, Val, and I loved the poppy session, as you can well imagine. Thanks for the comment on the new blog look - glad you like it better!

      Delete
  5. Such a fabulous idea of the banner and poppies! kudos to your friend! You gals did a lovely job with the stamping-be sure to take photos of the banner wrapped!
    Sending hugs
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll definitely get photos, Jackie - Tammy also did some fabulous mylar poppies for the dead according to my fb feed - they'll stand up in the ground around the Donkey Bomb I suspect! I think it will be an impressive display! Happy and creative week to you, my New York friend - may it include something really extraordinary! xo

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful idea, it looks like fun was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Laura, and the Donkey Bombing this morning was a riot, too!

      Delete
  7. BEAUTIFUL bunner for a great project. I love poppies!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red poppies are such a universal symbol to honour the fallen that it was a privilege to work on this banner...thanks for stopping by, Mia!

      Delete
  8. I know I've been a bit distracted but I've missed loads! The banner is gorgeous, well done ladies xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - we were very pleased with our collaboration!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...