Thursday 29 November 2018

Holy smokes . . .

. . . who the heck turned winter on?!!!  With the snow on the ground this morning, I'm glad I've got something with a little heat to show you.

This lovely pooch belongs to my daughter, Rochelle - check out her page; you're going to love it!   I've been working on towards this piece for weeks months.

Daisy
The original photo shows a wee bit less colour, as you can see.


I'm a rabid fan of Dean Russo's work and have been trying to create a stencil of Daisy for a long time.  This side by side of Dean's pooch was approximately where I wanted to go.


So from the time I started up til now, I've burned nine stencils, printed around 15 of them on gel prints, and created a massive pile of no-goes!  It can take dozens of hours to even get a start on a new technique, right?

So now that I have a reasonable stencil made (above, left), I can create another painting any time at all...Rochelle might be getting a new one every year for Christmas.  Can you hear her cheering???

And yes, I promised you a video this week that takes the book folding a little further, so here is the process for turning the basic folded book into a wacko 'Expat Offspring'.  It took ages - in my world that is - to video just one page tear, and to do the original Expat from Arcturus took that x about 150, so be warned.  It is not a fast process!

You may wonder why the 'Offspring' has googly eyes and so few tentacles when the parent (is that male/female/androgynous?) is eyeless and heavily tentacled.  
'Expat Offspring' © Win Dinn  Folded Book Sculpture 2018
You may not have known that on Arcturus, only babies under 25 years have eyes - the fully matured adult sees through their third, invisible, inner eye.  Each year, they grow a new tentacle and when they reach 25 they start to shed an eye per year.  Aren't they are brilliant?  By the time they reach 162, they are truly stunning.
'Expat from Arcturus' © Win Dinn  Folded Book Sculpture 2017
Whatever planet you're from, I'd be delighted to hear what you're up to...your comments keep me on my toes and creating!  Sending tentacle-y love from my planet to yours! 

18 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the Daisy painting Win! I'm sure Rochelle will as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's over the moon with it, Laura - she SO loves her pups! <3

      Delete
  2. So glad you kept going …… this looks awesome!! I'm sure Rochelle is going to love it. The colours definitely draw you in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, Esme,although it took some grit to do so. I feel sorry for all the plastic covers I spoiled in the process and am looking for a way to integrate them in artwork somehow. Is it any wonder that artists have such a stash? :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Win. I'm not sure how you make the stencils but it's a brilliant idea. Those dogs are wonderful and another book sculpture too, you're red hot Win! Have a lovely creative weekend my friend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stencil burning is similar to the technique I use for burning house-wrap stencils (see the tutorial section at the top of my blog), except I can see the photo underneath the plastic to determine where to burn. That's a huge advantage given my drawing skills! :D And yes, I'm on a roll these days - love winter in my studio! Hope your weekend is a red hot one too, Angela - happy creating!

      Delete
  4. Wow - definitely a piece to warm one up! Well worth the effort it took to create it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val, and isn't that true of all creative efforts? It's so much joy to keep learning and growing in the arts!

      Delete
  5. It was definitely worth the no-goes, Win! Looks wonderful. So colourful.
    Loving the whimsy of Expat, too.
    We don't have snow yet - thank goodness - but there's an awful lot of rain and high winds. I'm wrapping up warm and taking something heavy when I go out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tracy - I think so too, and Rochelle just LOVES it! I'm having a grin at the thought of you taking something heavy with you when you got out so the winds don't blow you away. Our snow was short-lived, but I'm sure there's more to come...winter is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dogs are simply AMAZING! WOW!
    Your daughter will love it!

    Happy start of December my super talented friend!
    Big hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Susi - that's a great compliment coming from an uber-talented friend! December? Oh, good grief, is it December already? MUST get at it - Christmas is coming! :D

      Delete
  8. I can see we have been similarly occupied this week coloring black & White pictures but yours are far more spectacular then mine. I love all the patterns and details...fantastic my friend what a treasure. As far as book sculpting goes I decided my life is just too short for that project...lol My little grandsons would have it plucked bald in 5 minutes. Enjoy the Holiday Season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What better way to spend a week - or ten, Deann? I'm having a grin at the thought your grandsons picking the book sculpture apart since we, too, are at the point now where everything must be kept out of reach when ours is here to visit. We're blessed on all counts! Wishing you and yours a wonderful season as well! xo

      Delete
  9. What an amazing piece! I love the energy and all those colours, fabulous job my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne - that was a blast (eventually.......) to do. :D

      Delete
  10. Always a fun visit when I arrive Win!
    I love what you created with those stencils- the dog pieces are fabulous!
    bless you for the patience of the book sculpting- don't think I could go that route,even though some days I feel like I am from another planet! LOL
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jackie - I'm roaring with laughter! From another planet? Definitely - that's why I love you! :D

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...