Thursday 14 October 2021

According to Merriam-Webster . . .

hodgepodge is a jumble, and that word certainly fits the week prior to Thanksgiving 2021.  From painting to book-making to baking and more, it was a celebration of creativity.

I managed to get a painting done for my oldest grandson in celebration of his upcoming fourth birthday.  Autistic, he is fascinated by patterns and organization; since that fits my creative bent this painting was conceived and executed.


I'm pretty sure he's going to enjoy the patterning, but have my doubts about the screaming stab-your-eyes-out colour.  

Truly, though, I just could not stop myself; I'm almost hoping he'll hate it so it will come back to Grandma.  😆


I also grappled with a double accordion book, which would have been better served had I done two or three prototypes instead of the mini one I showed you a couple of weeks ago.  A miscount of the pages had me scrambling to redesign the book in mid production, so it's now a prototype for yet another one to tackle.  


The book is designed to read in the round, and I added an additional fillip so it could be read from the up and down direction as well.


I'll enjoy tackling this particular design again, I know!

Meanwhile, John is moving into a corner of the studio, and has been sanding my easel to use for a paper tole project he has in mind.  We were mesmerized by the contrast in the sanded versus unsanded areas.  Apparently I am a very messy painter.  😉




In my defense, that's some thirty five years of accumulation on there.  Really, it's much less than it should be, right?!

All of this topped off by a visit from family - all three grandchildren in the same living room, playing to their hearts' content, while the adults visited, cooked and stuffed faces.  What could be better?  We were grateful indeed. May your Thanksgiving weekend (if you were celebrating) have been as filled with joy and love.  

10 comments:

  1. What a delight for the eyes! Love the idea of the book that can be read in many directions - it's always fun to play with the book format. And I think your painty table is very restrained for such a long accumulation. Mine has been in use for four years and is much more thickly daubed than that. And I have an easel on it!

    Happy thanksgiving to you, my friend. Glad you had fun with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a purely delight-full week, Tracy. I should have perhaps noted that the paint table has been covered with butcher paper for those decades, and it's truly beyond me how it got ANY paint or cut marks on it at all. :D

      Delete
  2. Ah, that makes more sense. Strange how the paint just gets where we definitely never put it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a delightful present for a 4-year-old - no way you're getting that back any time soon! I'm intrigued by the accordion book and sometimes the best textures show up on our work surfaces! I'm kinda toying with the idea of framing my craft sheet LOL! Have fun, Win - thanks for your visit xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what the heck will do you without your craft sheet - you'd need to be buying them by the dozen at that rate? :D Happy week, Zsuzsa!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've had a lovely family time, just what's needed right now. I'm sure your grandson will love the card and all those bright colours too. I love this style of accordion book, they look like such fun to make. If you can't make a mess on your easel then where else! that's what I say. The patterns on it do look interesting. Have a lovely week...well what's left of it. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela, and you're quite correct about the need for family time; that's the first time in five months we've managed to meet, so it was quite blissful! Have a fun week, and happy creating! xo

      Delete
  5. I love your bold and beautiful patterns so bright and fun. A your books my goodness my poor brain would be in a knot if I tried making one of those. They look like great fun though. Even your art desk would be a wonderful backdrop I may be forced to snitch it.
    Week after week you just blow me away. Keep up the awesome work, my friend. Hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann...it's really hard for me to stay away from kick-butt colour, as you can tell. :D And do snitch away on the desk photo(s). I really had to grin at the difference. How the heck I could manage to add so much colour and texture when it was covered with butcher paper for eons is beyond me.

      Have a fantabulous week, my friend - keep safe and well. xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...