Thursday 15 July 2021

If you're following...

...this blog via the 'Follow by email' widget on the right side of the blog, please be aware your email notifications will be discontinued this month.  Feedburner is eliminating it entirely.  If you wish to continue to follow my studio shenanigans please use the 'Followers' section on the bottom right hand side by clicking on 'Next'.  

All that techie stuff out of the way, it's been a busy studio week, and how fun is that?!  I've been learning to make Jelly Bean mini books, mostly because I think they'll make great Christmas ornaments for the grandkids.  I found the directions in 'Making Books and Journals', and have actually followed their advice to create a template so I can do more.  Is this a first?  Perhaps!  😉







These little books are about 2 1/2" x 2", and just as cute as can be.  I created a slot fastening on the first and use the velcro bits on the second.  Each has a 12 page signature, although for an ornament, I would use thicker paper and much less of it.


I've been adding to my pile of colourful signatures this week, and as you can see here I have only two more to go before I can turn them into a couple of books.  That will shock the heck out of my system when that happens - it's only taken years!

With the cooling weather - I'm using that term loosely given that the average daily high has been 34 degrees Celsius - we've been out and about early in the mornings for our walk.  It's next to impossible to get outside in the Creston Valley without seeing some glorious flora and fauna!




I hope that your week has been juicy with colour, playfulness and time in the great outdoors.  Here's to the joy of summer!

8 comments:

  1. Those little books are so cute! I look forward to seeing the finished books with those colourful signatures. And what a riot of colour and shape in the window-boxes and raised beds.
    Glad to hear the weather is cooling. I'm sure you're relieved :) We're heading into a warm week here (for us). You'd think I'd be used to it, but it's the humidity that knocks me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jelly bean books were fun to do, and I look forward to more playtime with them!

      This time of year is so wonderful in the area - the climate is perfect for the orchards, vineyards and everything else that is growable!

      I do agree with your comment about the humidity; our (mostly) dry heat seems easier to bear than the hot humid areas of the world. We feel blessed to the max!

      Delete
  2. Win, Your Jelly Bean books boggle my mind I don't know how you can keep all the folds and pages straight, not to mention all the color pages created beforehand. I guess I'm just a one page slap the paint on girl, past that I run out of brain cells. Your little books are adorable and I like the little beads that really makes them fancy.
    Love your Red Sunflower too I planted a whole planter box with them one year they are awesome.
    I'm glad you're cooling off a bit up there. We FINALLY got our air conditioner replaced after a month of record heat and I learned something...the difference between agony and ecstasy is 20 degrees.
    Stay cool and take care of you my friend. Hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deann, there are times when even I can follow directions, and given that sewing signatures is not part of these little creations, it was quick and easy. I really should make 1,000 of them to use up some of this crazy paper stash!

      Isn't that sunflower a beauty? It stands proudly in front of the Real Food Cafe (our favourite place in town to nosh), and I was so impressed by how it matches their exterior decor. ;-) You really can't beat sunflowers for pure joy, and these rusty red ones are awesome!

      I'm SO happy for you and your new air conditioner. That is a MAJOR blessing...20 degrees of ecstasy!

      And right back at you, Deann - may you and yours remain cool and ecstatic for the rest of the summer! xo

      Delete
  3. These little books are so cute and I really think you're right they will make a lovely Christmas gift. The flowers are gorgeous too. It's been warm at times here too and quite humid which is not good for doing stuff, we seem to have the fan going much more these days so pleased we decided to have it put in. That sun flower is amazing. Have a lovely creative week. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute, aren't they?! And oh, the flowers are just so beautiful right now!

      I'm glad to hear you have a fan going to deal with the heat and humidity; it's a struggle otherwise, as we all know by now.

      I, too, love the sunflower - the colour is outstanding, and we noticed on our walk today that there are three new blooms on the same stalk - deep, dark and mouth-wateringly rich in colour.

      Happy week, my creative friend! Hugs, Win

      Delete
  4. These are so cute, Win - I wonder why they are called jelly bean books? Love the little danglies and the jewels! They make them special. I find lots of delight in flowers too - I never used to notice them on my walks as much as I do now! Have a lovely weekend and thanks for your visit! xx zsuzsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the book I garnered the tutorial from, they're called Jelly Bean Books due to their relatively small size and their coverful colours - pretty hard to beat that, I'd say. ;-)

      I have found that the restrictions created by Covid have really opened my eyes to the world around us, so I'm noticing more and more beauty. I wonder if that holds true for all artists!

      Thanks for stopping by, Zsuzsa, and your ongoing inspiration on your blog. Hugs, Win

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...