Friday 21 August 2020

As you may know,

I've been working on a weekly basis with Ruth Bieber, a blind artist here in the Creston Valley.  We started this project pre-Covid and are having a great deal of fun as we find ways to bring her creative ideas into the realm of living, breathing paintings.


The piece that Ruth is holding above, entitled 'Dancing', was for a show that was to be held in late February and early March of this year.  Given the Covid constraints, I believe it was held physically for a very short time before it went online.  Since I was in Mexico at the time I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

We started back working together outdoors on our patio on July 14, and now have a good selection of pieces in various stages of completion.  

And we've even managed to complete three pieces since we started back, two of which are shown below:




Our sessions are always so filled with laughter and a flurry of paint, inks, ideas and supplies that I'm darned if I can remember to take a photo more than occasionally, and rarely when we're actually playing!



My word for 2020 is Expand, and I'm most certainly doing that as we play together.  Ensuring that the work is Ruth's concept and execution is hugely expansive as I find ways to assist her to learn new methods of working with paint, inks and whatever else comes to hand. And ensuring that we work together safely in a time of pandemic is expanding as well; we're both praying that the fine weather will hold until September of 2021 so we can finish enough pieces for the upcoming show.  😎

Do catch me up in the comments below - how has your week been?  What are you up to?  You know I'd love to hear it all!

16 comments:

  1. I love your great cooperation with Ruth. It is so kind of you, Win, to help her learn new techniques. And the result of your projects is simply WOW! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always when I teach, Mia, I learn much more than I impart, I'm sure. I think the kindness goes both ways! We're having a great deal of fun as we play together, and for me that is the whole purpose of a creative life!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I just want to reach out and touch those finished pieces! What a blessing to be able to collaborate in this way. As you say, learning new ways of working for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a woman after my own heart, Tracy; learning from Ruth, I am finding that my pleasure in the tactility of each painting grows and grows. I'm very much looking forward to the pre-show process where we can teach others to touch, feel and explore these paintings with their hands, rather than their eyes! xo

      Delete
  3. Ruth is creating some wonderful pieces of art with your assistance Win - and what a gift to be able to help some who can not see to create to their heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a terrific collaboration, Zsuzsa, and I'm likely gaining more than I'm giving. Seeing through my hands is a new and wonderful experience!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like mounds of fun. How wonderful to have someone to art with and I love your Puzzle Piece Galaxy. I like your word "Expand" though it with probably refer to my waist. I have been thinking I need to practice my drawing and cartooning art because I have been doing digital exclusively for several years now and I am losing my edge at drawing.
    Have a wonderful weekend and keep up the great art. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gret fun, Deann, and the perfect occupation for these Covid-ridden times.

      I'm with you on the expansion of the waist...it's very hard to curb the eating right now, and one has to exercise a great deal to combat those extra calories! :D

      If you decide to practice your drawing and cartooning again, I do hope you'll publish some on your blog...I'd love to see, and it would be great impetus for me!! xo

      Delete
  5. It may appear that it is Ruth who is the lucky one in this but I bet you know it's you Win. What a great experience for you both. Have a lovely creative weekend.Hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative experience you are both having. After a painting session my dreams are often vivid with colour. I wonder if it is so for Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question, Eileen, and I'll ask Ruth at our next session. I know that's true for me as well, and I'm sure it's so for many artists!

      Delete
  7. Your collaboration seams full of joy and fulfillment.
    This fills my heart with happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has already been a great pleasure, and I'm very much looking forward to another year of creating together. It's pure delight to play with Ruth and see the pictures from her mind come to light.

      Delete
  8. Ruth reminds me of a man from my church "back home" in New England. John was not born blind, but has been blind for decades. Like Ruth, John refuses to stay home and just "be blind." He canoes, swims, horseback rides, goes for long walks with his dog and is not afraid of getting lost! Since leaving New England, I send John a handmade card from time to time just to keep in touch. I know that someone will read my wishes to John, but I just can't imagine them describing my card to him...so I do. I try to always have a bit (or a lot) of texture for him to feel, but I tell him what colors I have used, I describe the paper(s), and maybe what type of adhesive I used (his sense of smell is phenomenal). Sometimes, I use staples just for fun. John once asked me to not describe the next card to him. When he received my next card, he called and described it to me! So cool!

    Bottom line, Win, thank you for being a mentor to Ruth! Oh, yes, I know...it's a win-win! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your John sounds fascinating...love it that he wanted (and did so well) to describe the card to you. Ruth is much the same - her tactility is amazing and her use of her feet and hands to 'map her world' is a treat to see. She has created and produced her own one-woman show and presented it throughout BC. I am in awe of all that she has accomplished.

      And yes, yes, yes, it is a win-win situation, most definitely! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...