Thursday 30 July 2020

Outdoor Covid teaching...

...is an amazing thing when it's 30+ degrees Celcius (i.e. 85 Fahrenheit).  Thank goodness for our covered patio, I say!

I'd like to introduce you to Ruth Bieber, a blind artist who is playing here to create a body of work to be shown initially at the Tilted Brick Gallery here in Creston and then through the Kootenays with the assistance of a grant from the CKCA.  Ruth will be working with Marnie Temple, Lisa Benschop and myself to both create artwork, and provide interpretative tours as well as workshops for sighted and blind.


The process for a blind artist is radically different than for the sighted.  Ruth uses her hands to feel the canvas as well as to apply gesso, paints and mediums.  


The tactility is a necessity for her to 'see' what is on the canvas, and her ability to feel a minuscule raising up of a stencil addition or a 'wave' in the gesso background is phenomenal.


As we work to increase her skill levels with new techniques, there are a lot of practice sessions before testing them on a canvas.  We were really pumped with this addition to one of her pieces - look at the glow of the red shining out of that Art-Foamie-stamped-flower!


While we were waiting for the confirmation of a successful grant application, I turned my studio into a re-gessoing factory for pieces that Ruth had created in a different space.  There are canvasses everywhere in various stages of readiness.


And now with several Covid-safe playdates, we have a range of in-the-work pieces that await their chance for more time on the patio.


Keep your eye on this space; I suspect you'll see a lot more of Ruth's work in the coming months!

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post and inspiration! I Look forward to seeing more of this amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynne - it's truly an incredible thing to be 'teaching' someone who cannot see. I am learning far more than Ruth is I suspect. Plus we're having great fun in the process!

      Delete
  2. That's so amazing and inspirational! I can see how textures become so important - and with a bit of colour guidance some wonderful art can be created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Zsuzsa - I'm really looking forward to where this collaboration will take us. We're both going on a great journey, I believe!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great project! I'm guessing that you'll be learning just as much as Ruth. Looking forward to seeing the increased tactility in your future work as you're influenced by this collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it that, Tracy - I can hardly wait for further adventures. My love of texture is going to ramp up to the moon, I suspect! Happy weekend, my friend!

      Delete
  4. What an exciting adventure for each of you and for both of you, if you get my meaning! I will be delighted to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Kay - I'm excited to see where this all goes, knowing it will be a huge adventure.

      Delete
  5. How amazing! Ruth is unbelievable! It must be really hard for her, but I certainly understand the importance of texture. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth is a huge inspiration, Mia, with an appreciation for artwork that most sighted people do not have. She's going to teach me tons about a different world!

      Delete
  6. You are and inspiration Win. So much planning and preparation goes into each session. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Eileen; I know that the work that precedes the play is going to pay off handsomely. This collaboration is filled with great possibilities.

      Delete
  7. Hats off and great respect for this lady!
    I sincerely wish that your projects succeed and bring you fulfillment and great happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hats off to Ruth, indeed. She has a marvelous sense of adventure, and a willingness to expand her horizons to the max. This is going to be a delightful foray into new territory!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic art work, what pleasure Ruth must get from this. You must be so happy to be involved with this brilliant group of people and the thoughts of what's to come. Can't wait to see it myself. Take care and happy creative weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beyond delighted, Angela, and eagerly anticipate each week's session. We started working together this past fall, are delighted to be safely working together again, and are looking forward to a long and exciting time. Have a fantastic weekend, Angela - 'see' you next week.

      Delete
  9. I think this is just fabulous it just proves the there is no excuse for trying new things in new ways. Thanks to you and others like you who are willing to take the time to mentor, show the way and open new horizons for others. Blessing on you.
    I am off to spend a few days at the lake with 10 of my 12 crazy wonderful grandkids. I don't know how I got so many but they are the joy of my life...I just hope I survive...lol Take care of you, hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so in agreement with you, Deann - there is never any excuse for refusing to push one's boundaries, and Ruth is definitely proof of that.

      Twelve, count 'em, 12 grandkids. You lucky, lucky woman you. May you enjoy for fabulous lake time, the insanity that's sure to ensue, and your fabulous family. Sending hugs, and homage to super-Grandma! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...