Thursday 26 March 2020

Q is for...

...quarantine, and we've got another five days to go before we are out of it.  Then I can make a SI (self-isolation) door sign.

Feel free to share
The world is turned upside down right now, and everyone is realizing that they are not only connected, but involved to the max.  We're bereft, bruised, and battered, but not yet beaten.  And if you are, like ourselves, turning to social media, I'm hoping your feed looks like a humanity turned to love.

I've been so very heartened by wonderful groups on Facebook like The Kindness Pandemic, Hearts of PG (now a world-wide phenomenon) whose story is here, and locally Creston Community Support.  The Kindness Pandemic is sharing stories submitted by people who have experienced episodes of rampant kindness in their areas.  Hearts of PG is a group started to entertain children on walkabout with their families - they can spot hearts in the window in their area, and people are encouraged to share photos of the hearts they have added to their homes.  Creston Community Support is a local group that is working hard to deliver to shut-ins and those in quarantine, and run errands for those who are unable to do so.  It's an incredibly caring platform, and I know there are hundreds springing up around the world that are doing the same.  

In Vancouver, at 7 pm every night, thousands of people open their apartment windows and cheer, whistle and shout out their appreciation for all the essential staff (doctors, nurses, grocery store heros, truckers and so on).  Here at home, our daughter is supporting us with grocery runs, laughter and comfort.  Our librarian delivered a couple of boxes of some 45 books, a good friend picked us up from the airport, milk and bread in hand, and a gym friend delivered for John's volunteer work.  And that's just the tip of the kindness iceberg.

There are outstandingly funny things on my SM feeds as well - 


and inspiring music, readings, university courses, art instruction and much, much more.

I've been occupying myself with sorting through holiday photos from Huatulco, Mexico, and they remind me there is beauty and pattern everywhere, whether we're aware of it or not.  






I'm going to leave you (and especially The Stardust Factory) with a hint of what the paintings in world-renown museums are doing while we're distancing ourselves.  

Post found on Facebook
Please, tell me what you're doing during this pandemic.  How are you coping?  Are you and your family/friends well and safe?  What are you learning?  Creating?  We've been friends for a long time, and I'm concerned for you.  

12 comments:

  1. Reaching out through social media and phone calls; runs for people returning from trips; a few supportive words to people passing at a distance; being alone in nature; reading; sewing; watercolour painting and yard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you are offering so much to your fellow isolators, Eileen. It's important for us to realize that we are all in this together; we need to comfort each other, as well as take care of ourselves. I look forward to seeing what your creative time spurs you do do. Sending virtual hugs, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Of course you would turn your quarantine into a chance for creativity, Win :) There's a lot of inspiration in those lovely photos so I'm sure we'll see some of those patterns turning up in upcoming artworks.

    As for this corner of the world, I'm finding those things we can be thankful for - there are so many small things that make the world beautiful and we're focussing on those things rather than the negatives. So much good is being done.

    One of our congregation is a restauranteur. He's gathered together a bunch of local suppliers to deliver to those who are stuck inside. Our Foodbank is working flat out and we have people taking on the task of connecting with the vulnerable people in our community on a regular basis - a 'care web' as it were. Let's hope that these new connections that are being made will stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing how others are helping - groups are being set up around the world to take care of those who cannot do so for themselves. We have a great opportunity to become a world of love, albeit socially-distanced. Sending virtual hugs over the waves to you, Tracy! xo

      Delete
  3. Here it is quite nice at home and the social media makes it super to connect with all the friends and family and neighbors!
    Hopefully we get all good through this pandemic!
    Thank you for your lovely words on my blog Win!
    Stay safe and healthy and have fun with art!
    For us artistst it isn't so bad as for others without much hobbies than can be done at home.
    We will get through it all I am sure and it brings people closer together .... maybe this is what this time wants to teach us!
    Elbow hugs and virtuell kisse for you!

    Susi xxx
    from the North of the little land Austria...
    the region I am living in is called the Austrian Canada ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you're safe and sound in Austrian Canada, as we currently are in the larger one. I agree that we are most fortunate to have our creative outlets through this; we can do our part to make the isolation less troublesome. Elbow hugs and virtual kisses right back, my friend! xo

      Delete
  4. It looks like you will have lots to play with during your isolation - lovely patterns in the photos!I have mostly been working in the yard and playing in the studio during the last 2 weeks. Visited the grocery store today for some essentials and it is back to isolation again for us. I wonder how many people realize they should start their 2 weeks over after every outside exposure? Oh well, lots to do and the weather has been descent. Take care Win and happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, Val, and am happy to have such a well-stocked studio...I could be in here for months. ;-) I have been enjoying your paintings and yard visitor photos on Facebook - thanks for sharing them! Stay safe, my friend!

      Delete
  5. Hi Win, it's been an interesting week. The weather here in the UK has been lovely and I've spent some time moving stuff into the new cabin, shopping for my parents, they are 91 and 92 so obviously not allowed out though to be honest they've not gone out for some time unless we take them. Managed to walk the dogs in the park and pleased to see people being very sensible about keeping a good distance though sadly the police had to break up a party of teenagers who thought it was okay to have a party in one of the parks in the city. They don't seem to think the rules apply to them. I hope they learn from this. Thanks for the lovely comments over at. Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful thing that you are taking such fond care of your parents; it must make things so much easier for them. Your doggos will help keep you outside to some degree (and that's definitely sanity time); hope those who are breaking the self-isolation rules change their tunes, and soon. It is such a necessity. Keep safe, and create more my friend! xo

      Delete
  6. First off thanks for the Brown's Boys, I laughed my head off, and we all need one about now.
    I love your quarantine sign and your gorgeous pictures from Mexico. But Mona was the kicker one of the best morphs I have see, I saved her to add to my Pinterest collection I have over 300, about 40 that I have done myself...Obsession. Thank you.

    As for the Pandemic my hubby and I are just chilling at home. I go to the store once a week, and he slips out in the evening to go for a ride to keep from going crazy. We Skype with our grandchildren which I find very unsatisfying I miss them so much. But the hours of guilt free art and reading make it almost worth it...almost but not quite.
    My best wishes and prayers for you and all my blog friends, stay well keep lifting us all up with your joyful spirit...you are the best.
    Love but No hugs, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - I could get lost on YouTube with all the comedic value there, and don't we need that, Deann? And I knew you'd love the Mona - she just SO reminded me of you and your fabulousness with her image.

      I'm glad to know that you and your family are safe, and finding ways to ride out this pandemic. Even if we can't hold most of our family right now, it's comforting to know that social media, FaceTime, Skye and so on can keep us safely connected. And thank goodness for art and creativity!!!

      Sending you and yours happy, hopeful, healthy energy, riding on currents of love, dear friend. <3 x a million!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...