Thursday 11 April 2019

Is it Christmas?

Perhaps not, but Catherine Moes got to use her Christmas gift this past week when she came for a three-hour private lesson, and we had more fun than I suspect is strictly legal.

The beauty of one-on-one is that sessions can be tailor-made to fit the student, and after a short studio tour and a discussion of Catherine's current explorations, it was decided that a morning with the knife would be a great playtime.  Accordingly we got some palette knives in action.


In order to create a feeling of looseness, we utilised only the palette knife, molding paste and heavy gel to bump up the texture, heavy-bodied acrylic paints and a spray bottle of water.  Creating a landscape from our imaginations, we tore right into an abstract painting.


We accomplished a great deal in our short time together, even managing a quick demo session with the gel plate as we waited for the mediums to dry a bit on the paintings.


Catherine was so pleased with her husband's stocking stuffer that I could literally hear the wheels turning in her head as she planned for a return visit.  

I love doing these private lessons - they give me such joy when I can sponteaneously create a coaching session that is exactly what the artist wants and needs.  Being able to encourage mixed media exploration in the arts is why I've been teaching for so long.

If you're looking for your own stocking stuffer, why not email me for details?   I'd love to see you come and play!

Of course, that's not all that went on in the studio this week - I got into more dryer sheets and baby wipes.  Are you surprised?  Maybe you would be when you find out that I made flowers from them.  Using Golden GAC400, I got myself gunked right up, and John caught me in the act.


If  you've been following this blog for the past few weeks, you can likely guess where these might be going!  The deadline is fast approaching to get this Lunacy Gown completed.


Hope your week has been just as much fun - see you on the flip side, and please let me know what you've been up to in the last while.  I love reading your comments.

18 comments:

  1. You certainly know how to have fun ! Love your flowers and can't wait to see them on your dress !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's all about following one's nose, Corrie, and yes - my studio is definitely my happy and fun place!!

      Delete
  2. A dress from dryer sheets. Cant wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how I found some on the web after I decided what to do for the Trashion Show - check out Trashion + dryer sheets and see what you can find. :D

      Delete
  3. Wonderful painting session with your student Win - sharing and creating is so great. I can't wait to see your creation for the Trashion Show. BTW. I have some dryer sheets for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, Val - and thanks for saving the dryer sheets!!!

      Delete
  4. Loving that shirt, Win! Can't wait to see the gown when it's done.
    Catherine is a lucky lady to have a 3 hour play session in your studio. She looks delighted to have created such a lovely landscape. I'm sure her play sessions will be full of texture now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - I've got a number of those wild paint shirts (I think they breed in the studio!). And you can bet that Catherine will be pushing the texture boundaries for sure!

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy the mini lesson's you've shared with me. You are an excellent teacher! Those flowers look great! Thanks for sharing this lovely painting by Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. And the flowers were fun - I think I'd like to create a whole garden of them!

      Delete
  6. I can tell by the smile on Catherine's face that she had a blast. And what lovely results she has to show for for your efforts, some very wall worthy Christmas gifts. I can hardly wait to see your dryer sheet dress and the flowers just added to my anticipation...I know it will be stupendous.
    I spent this week taking care of the oldsters in our family my Mom turned 92 so we partied hardy for her. My husband's soon to be 102 year old Mom needed a little attention and some chocolate. I started my Spring cleaning...even though it's snowing outside, and still managed to squeak in all my challenges because a little art makes me smile.
    Thank John for the lovely picture of you I snitched for my friend files..you little cutie you. Have a great week and keep on sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to have had that play time with Catherine; it was the perfect break from stitching. My model, daughter Rochelle, was in town this week, so we've done all but the final fitting on the dress (skirt and top, really), with just odds and sodds to complete.

      Your family life sounds very full, and what two long-lived parents you have! It's still snowing there? Yikes!!!! And you most certainly did manage to sneak in some art time - your blog was a visual feast, as always this week!

      I've definitely thanked John for the photo - it's a rare thing to have on the blog, given that I'm normally the photographer. Happy week to you, Deann - hugs, Win

      Delete
  7. Oh how fun for Catherine!! Her field of flowers is just gorgeous!! They look like Lupines, from afar-
    Great picture of you during playtime! Tell John,good job!
    And those roses will look stunning on this dress you are constructing! Looking forward to seeing it!
    huge hugs my friend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just loved Catherine's painting, and she was justifiably proud of it - her love for lupines most certainly shines through!

      John was right on it with that shot, wasn't he? Every the photographer, he knows exactly how to capture good playtime. ;-)

      Massive hugs right back, Jackie - lovely to see you here! xo

      Delete
  8. Simply AMAZING! That's such a great creative life! What a gift from heaven to paint and do Mixed Media!
    Happy new week!
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely correct, Susi - my life is amazing, and I consider myself extremely fortunate! Hope you had a great weekend, and are looking forward to an even greater week! Hugs, Win

      Delete
  9. Hi Win, nearly missed this and what a great time you both had. I'm busy at the moment trying to organise some projects for a Hen party. My friend has three daughters and two of them are getting married this year. No idea if the ladies that will be there have done any crafting before so fingers crossed. Happy creative weekend, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast, Angela - the studio is THE best place to be. Hope your hen party goes well - I'll bet they'll be tickled pink with the fun! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...