Tuesday 23 July 2013

Nail it!

There are so many things around the house that can be used in your artwork to interesting effect.  Take nail polish remover, for example - it makes a lively background when used as a resist.

You merely need acrylic paint, a paintbrush, a support, an eye dropper, water and nail polish remover.  I'm starting here with a paint-splashed mat board pulled from my stash of starts.


Making a very thin wash of burnt umber, I'm ready to paint it on to the support.


 Once it's painted,


 I splash on some polish remover using the eye dropper.


When it's dry, I decide it can use another layer of colour, this time quinacridone burnt sienna, using the same technique.


The addition of another colour really changes the look.


It's starting to look very interesting now.


I think some quinacridone burnt scarlet would finish this off nicely.


I really like the rich depth of these layers and think it will make a lovely background for a painting.


It might be fun to add a nail polish resist in antique gold - what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...