Thursday 28 December 2023

For the last month or two,

I've been mulling over options for my word of the year for 2024.  (If you're not familiar with the concept, here is a good post for an outline).


After considering the words notice and focus, I was reminded of this Rumi quote: 

‘When I run after what I think I want, my days are a furnace of stress and anxiety; if I sit in my own place of patience, what I need flows to me, and without pain.  From this I understand that what I want also wants me, is looking for me and attracting me.  There is a great secret here for anyone who can grasp it.’ 


And a meditation reminded me of the feeling I had this past month as I saw people going through my artwork, really seeing it in so many ways.  They discussed it, asked questions, looked deeply and with great interest.  It made me aware of how little we, as artists and more importantly, as people, rarely have the chance to be really seen.  And, unique to artists I believe, is the intense attention to the miracles around us because as we notice and focus on so many things that make up our environment.  


I wonder what our world would look like if we could only truly see each other and the world we inhabit.  Would we finally realize that we are all one?  Would we understand that damage to any being is damage to ourselves?  Would we begin to know that the planet, too, is a sentient being, and that what we do to the planet is what we do to ourselves (and vice versa)?



As Haley Jacobson says, “I have lived in my body long enough to know the compass always points inwards’.  What we focus on is not only speeding through our own psyche like an out-of-control train, it affects those around us and the energy of the planet.  We can only stop the wars, the destruction, the intolerance, the bigotry, and the hatred in the world by defeating it in ourselves.  And truly, the only way we can do this is to truly see that ‘you and I are one’. 


Some of my favourite synonyms for the word see are discern, understand, visualize, recognize, know, examine, observe, notice, and witness.


My commitment to 2024 (as you may already have guessed, is to see.  I have a deep desire to really know each person I meet and to understand their being.  I want to see the miracles that surround us and to perceive the possibilities inherent in each moment.


The reminders I create each year get posted from one end of the studio to the other, and keep me focused on my desired outcome.  



I'm wondering whatyour word for 2024 will be.  Have you chosen one yet?  What are the connotations that have you drawing towards it (and vice versa)?  Enquiring minds want to know - and see!  

9 comments:

  1. I love your brilliant, thoughtful tradition of choosing a word for the year. And "SEE" is a wonderful choice . I also liked the quote you chose to illustrate along with your beautiful art. The Black & White is my favorite, it has depth and my eyes seem to move through it seeing it all.
    My quote is from Leon Brown. "Understand that you own nothing. Everything that surrounds you is temporary only the "LOVE'" in your heart will last forever. I think it fits very well with "SEE" in order to "LOVE" something you must really "SEE" it.
    Win I wish you and your family every wonderful blessing this year.
    Love & Hugs from here, Deann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deann. I like the black and white one as well, and it was fun to do, of course!

      That quote from Leon Brown is outstanding (it's going on my list of quotes I love), and certainly is in alignment with see-ing. I really believe that the more we practice seeing the divine in each other, and in our world, the more love we can hold and share.

      Love to you, Deann, in great appreciation for who you are...xox Win

      Delete
  2. Hi Win, pleased to see you've come up with your guiding word for 2024. You got me thinking and I have decided that next year I have to be 'Stop thinking and get on with it'. I spend too much time planning stuff and this coming year I want to give myself more 'freedom' so guess that will be my word for next year. Enjoy what's left of 2023. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love your phrase for 2024...I think that often applies to we creatives, and finding the fun in playing with colour, pattern and art-making is crucial. Here's to seeing a great deal more of your no-think-just-get-on-with-it-creativity in 2024! Happy New Year, my friend!!

      Delete
  3. I hear you, Win! My word is closely related to yours, just on a wider scale: mindfulness. I want to slow down, notice the beauty and wonder around me and appreciate little things in life - live a bit more intentionally. Too often I'm running on autopilot - letting experiences pass me buy because I'm just too focused on reaching my "goals" - in my work, art practice or every day life - you know just to get things done as quick as possible, taking the rat route - whereas if I take the time to live in the present, taking the scenic route, I might even enjoy the journey of getting to my destination. It's a cliché "enjoy the journey" but there's actually meaning behind it! Sometimes we're so focused on just getting through a mundane task, a day, a week, a month that we forget to live and fully experience life. So I want to take time to live in the present and practice mindfulness - I've done a lot of it in the past year but I still often find myself rushing through my days mindlessly just to tick things off my to-do list, sometimes procrastinating and wasting time, ending up feeling stressed, frazzled and anxious. Loving your depiction of your WOTY - and you even have a "logo", a symbol for it! Sending you my very best wishes for 2024 - may you see everything you need to see to find fulfilment and happiness in your life! Thanks so much for stopping by earlier - a message from you always lights up my day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindfulness is a terrific word, Zsuzsa, and I can feel the clear intention behind it. I do agree that steeping oneself in the beautiful journey is well worth it. May your year of concentrated mindfulness bring you to your own personal centre and result in a journey of delight.

      As always, lovely to see your thoughtful comments here; you are truly a colourful blessing in this feed! xo

      Delete
  4. Fabulous choice, Win. And I love your thinking behind it. In my world it would be 'love your neighbour as yourself'. When we really see each other and start to care, our inner landscape changes. May you see so much more in 2024 and may it expand your umwelt in the best of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apologies, Win - didn't realise my comment had been posted as 'anonymous'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering who that was! Thanks for letting me know! 😉

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...