Thursday 9 February 2023

The out-of-my-comfort-zone...

...continues as I explore the world of abstract madness.  The studio tables are piled high with works, mostly in progress.


While this week's session was supposedly about archetypal symbols, a couple of the pieces were called to a halt before any symbols were added since I liked them as they were.



Others are still (and may be forever) in progress, which is the best part about working with acrylics and mixed media.





I enjoyed the exploration of symbols (did you know there are hundreds of them online from every culture around the world???) and the process of starting a sketchbook library of the ones that spoke to me.  I suspect there will be many added to the ones that are already part of my visual vocabulary.  And I enjoyed the flash-in-the-pan intuitive way of working with them that had me slapping colour combinations together that wouldn't be any part of my painting process normally.

Here's to creative play in the studio - may your week have been just as much fun as mine!


6 comments:

  1. I am really with you on the side of creative play. I think I have got stuck with the things that seemed to need to be made and it's killed some of my creativity. I am going to try and spend more time just playing and hope it comes back. I've just started a journal with no aim but to play with techniques, no images or sentiments so we'll see how it goes. Happy creating, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we can get very stuck in the 'things-that-must-be-done', so this playful course is just what I needed. I plan on exploring it all year just to step out of the 'should-do' box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be something in the air my friend because we both seem to be off on a strange and inventive path. There are not many abstracts that I am drawn to. I admire your creative and inventive mind I tend to have things orderly for some reason, bazaar but orderly. lol However I have a very abstract imagination. i.e. The challenge is "Fish" and some how I come up with "Bottom Dwellers Poker Night.??"
    Carry on with your wonderful creativity. Wishing you warmth and every good thing. Hugs a plenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, as always, Deann, both on the uber-creative spectrum. And I'm very glad of it. I'm hysterical about your Bottom Dwellers Poker Night and can hardly wait to see how it applies to your fish theme. You are a treat to the max, my friend. xo

      Delete
  4. Getting out of your comfort zone is always a good way to expand and grow, and you've jumped in with both feet, Win! Gorgeous colours, and am I the only one who can see a prawn in the second photo? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile, Tracy - my daughter sees a host of animals in that second photo, and no doubt the prawn is one of them. I love how abstract pieces can evoke so many different things for people! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...