Thursday 23 June 2022

Putting the cart...

..before the horse is a talent of mine, I'd say.

I wanted to test a fabric cover for a book case, but given that I'd no book completed, I just went ahead and started the process anyway.  I spray glued (Super 77 by 3M) a cyanotype print to a piece of 140 lb. watercolour paper.


Given that the paper was boring white, I definitely needed to buck that up a bit, so I ghost-printed it in a coordinating colour


and tore into it.  In the meantime, I'd found a gifted stab-bound book in my stash, so I actually had a size to work to.  Seems like the creativity gods were working my favour.


Still in process, I've already discovered something new - the fabric, although well-secured, had unraveled a bit at the cut edges.  Running a bead of acrylic liquid gel medium over the edges fixed that issue.  More to come on this project at the finished stage.

And I was lucky to have a friend visit in the studio this week.  Eileen Gidman wanted to learn the basics of creating a journal slipcase, and we had a terrific time.  Look at what she accomplished in a couple of hours, even with all the chatting we did to catch up on our lives!


Eileen, being in recycle mode, used an old watercolour painting to create her cover, and it's truly gorgeous!


Both front and back are stunning, and her plein air and botanical drawings are surely going to benefit from such a wonderful slip case for her journal.


I'll leave you today with a bit of colour from the front patio.  The peonies were gifted from Laura Leeder's garden.  Stunning, no?


And I can't get enough of these beauties in the hanging baskets...it's hard to know whether the colour or texture pleases me more.  


As we move into summer, my walks are stop and go as I push my nose into every rose bush (wild, heritage and cultivated) around the area.  I'm so grateful we live where we do - supremely fortunate are we!

17 comments:

  1. Love your ghost printing you clever lady you. Eileen should be very proud of her book cover, it is gorgeous.
    Aren't flowers just mood elevating and delightful. Do you know the name of those red and yellow flowers?
    They look like petunias but I don't think I have ever seen them in those colors before...beautiful.
    I'm wishing you a blossom filled week my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deann, and I agree about Eileen's cover - it's fabulous!

      I don't know the name of those lovely flowers - meant to ask in my post and forgot. 😣 They are smaller than the petunias in the basket, about an inch or so wide. I'm with you on the lovely colour, too.

      Summer is just so much glory for the eyes and nose...I drift in a haze of scent from spring through fall, loving the the hot colours and smells! Here's to more of that for all. Sending big hugs, my friend, and wishes for a glorious summer.

      Delete
    2. Deann, John found the information for me, bless him! These are calledCalibrachoa MiniFamous Nel Double OrangTastic and Double Red. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much to you and John for finding the name. I'm going to hurry and look them up to see if they would like it here. Hugs

      Delete
    4. Got my fingers crossed you can not only grow it there, but find it for your baskets! xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for walking me through the precise steps of making a slipcover. I couldn’t be happier with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Eileen - it was a lovely treat to share the creative time with you, and I'm hugely envious of that lovely slipcase!! More to come, I suspect. 😉

      Delete
  3. I love the way you just dive in, Win, not letting the usual order of things stop you from creating. And what wonderful fabric to create with. Loving that ghost print, too. I can often be found tossing aside the first prints in my rush to get to the ghost print :)
    And what a beautiful watercolour slipcase Eileen made. I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about those first prints, Tracy - they often take four or five layers before they really start to look interesting, but the ghost prints can often be a one shot glory!! And I'm with you on Eileen's slipcase - that painting was one I'd have been proud to have done, and it made a stellar case!!

      Delete
  4. Interesting effect on the paper and look forward to the next stage. The Slip case is stunning and the flowers are so bright and colourful. Peonies are one of ny absolute favourites flowers. Wishing you a lovely creative weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to take shot of the finished slipcase, Angela. More to come!

      And I loved those peonies as well...glorious colour!

      Happy weekend right back at you - may it be warm, sunny, and filled with fun! xo

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a fabulous week with great crafting ! I love peonies too and roses smell divine ! Hope next week will be just as lovely ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so much fun here in Creston, from the studio to the great outdoors, to nearby towns, mountains and lakeshores. We're a very lucky couple!

      Delete
  6. I love the work you did between cyanotype and ghost printing, it's very inventive and beautiful!
    Eileen's case is beautiful, congratulations!
    And these flowers reconcile with existence.
    Have a creative and fulfilling good time dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sim - I enjoyed the risk of ghost printing on the watercolour backing, and was happy it turned out as it did.

      Eileen's case if really lovely, I agree, and I think it makes a great cover for her botanical journalling forays!

      Happy week to you, dear Sim - may the storms abate and the summer bloom anew! xo

      Delete
  7. Amazing cyanotype print! I wanted to try that last year as well, but I really didn't want to buy yet another kit. I must try it at least once though, otherwise it will be bugging me LOL! The slip cover is a great idea! Hope you're well, Win! I've just commented on your grandie post as well, but I'm not sure it went through - gorgeous kids! xx zsuzsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zsuzsa - the cyanotype print was made using Jacquard sheets (no need for messy chemicals), so they were easy to do, and of course, quite addictive! Your comment on the grandchildren came through just fine; we're very fond of them, so many thanks!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...