Thursday 5 November 2020

I feel like I'm returning from a distant planet...

 ...and truly, perhaps I am!  I've been in New Grandson followed by a trip to Recovering Body and a return visit to Covid Bluesland.  I'm here to let you know that I'm on the way back, with some photos of things in progress.  I know - you're thinking 'when will she ever FINISH anything?'.   Well, I did finish an experiment with sloppy drywall compound on a piece of canvas and can see some possibilities there.  Does that count?


I'm in such a 'what-if?' mode right now that I'm recycling an incredible amount of painty test tube babies.

And I did finish a page in my black and white journal this week,


and I'm working on several others as well..



Some brainstorm had me wondering what house wrap would look like melted and gessoed, so I did a piece of that just to satisfy my curiosity.  I've always liked the threads in house wrap, and the way it melts is fascinating.  I do worry occasionally that I'm a bit of a pyromaniac.


Of course I had to paint it then, and watch the colours play on the warped surface.  The colours made me think of the American flag, so perhaps some stripes and stars will get added to this.  Is that blasphemy to my US friends?  I hope not!


I've got another piece on the go - a start to a series entitled 'In Your Absense'.  The colours in this piece remind me so much of my sister, lost to cancer nearly two decades ago.


This was another piece that was great fun to watch - all those streams of blue wandering into the Kroma Crackle crevices were delightful.  I'm going to have to do another piece just for the sheer pleasure of videoing the seepage.


Oh - I finished something else.  I wrapped a gift and mini/book card for our new grandson; his Covid-safe shower is this weekend. The wrapping paper is hand-painted in the colours chosen for his room.  I do feel somewhat hugely guilty that the mini book/card is not colour-coordinated to match.  😉 Luckily it's well hidden in the envelope I made.  


As for the contents of the package, the match is a pretty reasonable one - you'll get to see that in the coming weeks, I'm sure.  While you wait for that exciting show and tell, why not let me know what you've been up to in the last bit.  I'm in huge need of a catch-up on your lives, artistic or not!  


10 comments:

  1. Covid Bluesland - that one I know!
    Still loving that black journal with the vibrant colours, and the cracks and seepage on the mustard and blue piece - love them. There's something so satisfying in watching it, isn't there? I remember as a child loading a brush with watercolour and then plunging it into a jar of water just to watch how the colours swirled :)
    And which self-respecting artist doesn't have a dozen things on the go with none of them finished yet, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - and I'm still enjoying working in that black journal. I have no doubt that I'll start a second one when this is finished! And watching paint seep? I could do it all day, and the Golden High Flow Acrylics are just the thing to throw at water-splashed paintings!

      I'm with you on the dozen things (or two or three) on the go...we must be art sisters. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Winn, Your pages on the black journal look beautiful! And I am curious to see the abstract (I think) shapes of your "In your Absence" series. I did not know about your sister. I am so sorry.
    And I will love to see more photos of your grandson shower this weekend.
    In Greece there is a second lockdown starting on Saturday 7th November. This will last for 3 weeks. No one likes it but we need to stay home to limit the virus cases.
    Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder to take photos at the Covid-safe shower, Mia...must peg that into my brain!! This whole world right now is just so very strange, isn't it? I'd heard that you were going into your second lockdown, and I suspect that, at the rate we're going, we may have to head into tighter restrictions as well. Best to be safe, I'd say! Sending hugs across Canada and the Atlantic to sunny Greece - happy weekend!

      Delete
  3. Well, here are some great experiences which have given birth to FINISHED objects! Obviously, as each experience opens up an infinite field of possibilities, you tell yourself that you never finish anything, but that's wrong.

    I still really like your notebooks... And others... All! :D
    And I admire your profusion of creative impulses and your energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Sim...given that I always have so many 'in the works' pieces, it's hard to remember that sometimes things actually get done. :D

      Delete
  4. Doesn't being closed in the same place with limited socialization do weird things to your mind, up one day, down the next and even sideways once in awhile. I'm glad you got to see your beloved Grandson but I am happy to have you back, you always make it a good day regardless of what your mood. You did a great job on all your art projects. Your Grandson's book is a treasure and that yellow and green would make a great alligator. I find my art tends to be weird and grim lately...lol
    An interesting thing to me that Ruth pointed out, was she used her subdominant hand to create. I am left handed I write, paint and draw with my left hand. But I do computer art and cut with my right. I can't work the mouse with my left and I can't write well with my right. Which only proves I am as messed up as I always thought.
    Take care of you my friend and hold on to your artist frame of mind.
    Have a wonderful November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the Covid mind; it's a very up, down and sideways thing.

      Your comment about the yellow and green piece would be even stronger if you could run your hands over it - definitely alligator skin!

      I'm surprised, too, about Ruth using her non-dominant hand to paint with, but given that her dominant hand is mapping out the space, perhaps it's not so surprising. Maybe we're all messed up - my son, although right-handed, uses his left to bat as well as other sports-related things.

      Taking care, as I hope you and yours are as well, Deann...art rules, and thank goodness for that! xo

      Delete
  5. Finish stuff! that would be a miracle if everything got finished. Starting it is the important part and the process, finishing it just might happen...maybe! I have dozens of clear plastic folders with half made projects often left-overs from other stuff I just can't throw the bits away, one day! Take care and craft on, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes, Ang - just the craziest people, we artists, aren't we?!!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...