Tuesday 14 October 2014

An artist date...

...renews the soul - every time.

Last week, Laura Leeder and I had occasion to deliver artwork to the Kootenay Gallery of Art in Castlegar,  The gallery is a feast for the eyes as you can see from their website, and it was terrific to chat with Val Field, the Executive Director there about their upcoming Christmas show.

Val recommended the Castlegar Sculpture Walk for our time in town, and it was an knockout!  Laura and I wandered the downtown core for ages, examining the over 30 sculptures on display.

'Jelly' by Nathan Smith of Nelson, BC

 
'Tundra' by Virginia Sperry of Eldersburg, MD

'Saturday's Distractions' by Lee Leuning and Sherri Treeby of Sioux Falls, SD

'Community Garden, Heirloom Seeds' by Cajsa Fredin of Invermere, BC

'Sphere of Influence' by Carl Schlichting of Winlaw, BC
I was so enamoured with the shadow cast by the sphere...


'Friends and Neighbours' by Rabi'a of Winlaw, BC
I'm a sucker for hearts - can you tell?  They were everywhere in these 'friends'.


I was almost glad that we had missed the September 30 deadline to get our bid in on the People's Choice Award Ballot, because I could not have chosen between my three favourites.

Here, Laura checks out 'Seventy-Six Trombones' by Douglas Walker of  Black Creek, BC

Trombone detail
I loved the Whisperer - the organic flow was gorgeous.
'Whisperer' by Neolio Gonzalez of Kissimmee, FL 





 The size of this piece, coupled with the hammered metal work captivated me.

Northern Leopard Frog by Kevin Kratz & James Karthein of Krestova, BC

Frog Detail
The only thing that could match the beauty of the sculptures was the vibrant autumn day and a ride in a convertible with the top down.  I'd always dreamed of my golden tresses flowing in the breeze like that (although it's white gold now, and cropped to nearly an inch all over). Thanks for the driving and the company, Laura, 


There's just nothing like an artist play date to rejuvenate the senses, and the muse.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...