Thursday 7 January 2021

A stitching sampler...

...is something I never thought I'd do, never mind turn it into a painting, yet here it is:

In Your Absence: Mom  
12 x 12" on wood panel 2020 
© Win Dinn 

It all started with the need to practice embroidery stitches way back when I was working on dryer sheets, so I slip stitched some dryer sheets to a piece of spare lining and happily copied some stitches from a library book .  I wound up with a sampler about 14" x 11", wonky as all get out.  The process reminded me of my mother, so often with needle and embroidery thread in hand as she stitched away at pillow cases she donated to the church for fund-raising.  Wonky would not have been her style at all - she was a magician when it came to embroidery and quilting.  

I obviously needed to turn the piece into part of my series 'In Your Absence'.  I gessoed a wood panel, scribbled over it with Inktense Pencils, washed it down with some water and let it dry, knowing that some of the wash would show through the lining and dryer sheets.


Applying the sampler was relatively easy, and the addition of buttons, additional dryer sheets and embroidery threads even more so.



I'm very fond of the bits of thread hanging over the edges, and the heart in the bottom right corner is definitely for my mom.


Here are some detail shots.





Mom was a teacher, doing so for over 35 years.  She truly believed in life-long learning, and consistently took on new challenges.  While she would have smiled at the wobbly and crooked stitching, she most definitely would have applauded the practice and the intention.


I was amused when this all came together to realize the colours were a combination that perfectly matched one of her favourite outfits...synchronicity at its finest.
  

12 comments:

  1. Well done Win, you are the worthy daughter of your mother (She truly believed in lifelong learning and constantly took on new challenges) and the result of your new challenge is quite spectacular indeed. In addition I love these warm and bright colours mixed together; and those textures are gorgeous, really.
    May you have beautiful hours of happy creating and fabulous achievements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sim - Mom was an outstanding person in so many ways that I'm hard-pressed to live up to her. She would have been delighted to see so many (wonky or not) stitches being practiced! xo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful piece. Your words about your mother bring back memories for me from when I was at Teacher training college. I studied Textiles and Art as my main subject and we had two lecturers who were completely different. One of them was in to anything creative and the other was a traditional Needlework teacher and you can imagine how different they were but what fun it was winding them both up Lol! but I loved every minute of the course. I'm sure she is looking down at you with a massive smile on her face. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can well imagine you giving those needlework teachers the gears, Angela - what fun! And regardless of the subject, you obviously have that wonderful creative bent! xo

      Delete
  3. Oh, it's beautiful, Win. I'm looking at the different stitches and dredging up names from dusty memory. I don't see wonky, just a heartwarming remembrance of someone very loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Tracy - it's true that she was most beloved, and I can see her in my mind, stitching away.
      xo

      Delete
  4. How very creative! I'm not sure I would have the patience for hand stitching but it looks so great! It gave your project that wonderful homespun feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa! Like every creative project, hand-stitching is therapeutic and engenders a feeling of timelessness when one engages in it. I have a feeling that you'd love it, at least as much as your diamond-time. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing how this all came together. It is a sweet heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Eileen...I find it fascinating to hear about processes from other artists, and some of them are most unexpected journeys, as was this particular piece.

      Delete
  6. Well my dear you may not have done a sampler before, but you should definitely add them to your long list of accomplishments because this is a masterpiece and fabulously wall worthy...I am blown away.
    I also adore the idea of your series "In Your Absence" what a wonderful idea, I have many people I would like to remember in that way.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Deann. I'm happy with the result and look forward to working on more in this series. I've got one in the works about my sister; it sits in the 'incredibly ugly' stage, and requires either a complete gesso-over or some wildly fabulous inspiration. :D

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...