Friday 14 February 2020

An outstanding show

After months of hiatus on this blog, I can only tell you I've had a great summer, fall and even the start, middle and (hopefully) end of winter.

What's got me back, you ask?  Well, it's a wonderful show at The Tilted Brick Gallery here in Creston, BC, that showcases some amazing colour and texture from local fabric artist Anne Fetterly.

Anne uses natural dyes to create her luscious fabrics, and they range from rich dark indigo to soft yellows, and everything in between.


From dying to hand-stitching, each piece is meticulously crafted, and many of them speak to the beauty that is the Kootenays.


These hanging panels puddle into a bed of the onion skins which were their colour source.


With one exception, the leaves on these organza panels are all local.  The patterning of them is so soft and engaging that one could get lost in the viewing.


Those of you who know me are aware that I am crazy about rust and steampunk, and these two canvasses cover both items masterfully.  Each of them is 42" x 45", and the impact is tremendous.


 I love the subtle shimmer on this panel - it changes from each minute shift in direction of the viewer.


Here is Anne's 'sketchbook' wall - it details the process for some of the pieces created and is rife with colour and texture on its own.


Anne's love of natural colour translates into stunningly crafted clothing as well as fabric, both shown to great effect here.  I really should have taken a closeup shot of the extraordinary stitching on the jacket.

This intricate pattern has me enthralled.

I fell in love with both the colour and the subtle patterns on these panels.  Anne's explanation of the process (four dye batches, I believe) had my mouth hanging open and my eyeballs popping out of my head.


If you are anywhere near our small town, I can't recommend this show enough; you will be astounded.  It runs through to March 7, 2020.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Thanks for the preview Win. I hope to make it to Anne's show in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love it, Val - delicious colour, fabulous texture and wonderful draping!

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back, Win! And aren't those fabrics just the most gorgeous things?! Loving that deep indigo - like falling into the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy - it's good to be back! And the fabrics are just incredible; I could have munched on them!

      Delete
  3. It was lovely to hear from you again, Win! You made me feel so much better about my own unscheduled absence! Loving all these fabric projects - you're so lucky to live in such a arty town! Hope you'll be back to creating yourself soon too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel most fortunate to be in the incredibly artist-filled town, Zsuzsa. It's brimming with a host of wonderfully talented people. I have been creating like crazy over the last months, although not blogging about it. I'll likely catch you up sometime in the next while! xo

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful and make me want to go back to my routes. I've not really done much with fabrics since I retired and these are just getting me excited about this wonderful medium. So pleased you're back with us, been missing you. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really gorgeous, aren't they? Anne is a master at using natural dyes, and I love how she puts her patterns together.

      Glad to be back with you all, Angela, and look forward to seeing more magical work from you! xo

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...