Tuesday 19 November 2013

Smoosh

Today's technical term is Smoosh - to press support to left-over paint to consume same

I'm a huge fan of smooshing because I do so many demos in workshops, and in the fray, it's not always easy to determine how much paint will be required.

Any time I have paint remaining on my altered book page or palette paper, I spritz it with water, drop a board or canvas on it, and smoosh.  Sometimes it's just a single colour,


 and sometimes it's a whole raft of them.


 I might pull the support off in a single direction,


or smoosh it in a circle before I lift it.


I love the unexpected surprises that appear,


 and what's left on the palette paper makes an awesome transfer as well.


These smooshes (OK, apparently I invented the term, since I couldn't find it in any reference 'book') can make a wonderful start to a painting.

Worship   2012  4.5 x 6.5" Mixed media  © Win Dinn

Between using cheesecloth, dryer sheets and smooshes, I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite way to use up the leftovers - they all look edible.  And surely I'm not the only one out there who drools over a paint colour combo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...