Thursday 19 April 2018

Sometimes when I get an idea...

...in my head, it's hard to shake (the idea, that is...my head shakes quite easily ☺️).  This journal page was one of those.



I was experimenting with alcohol inks on crumpled aluminum foil with an aim towards making another wonky neighbourhood piece, and created this quiet (HA!) beauty.  Doesn't that just knock your socks into left field?


Back to the drawing board, where I spray-glued the scrunched foil to printer paper, and then painted on/rubbed off some black gesso.


I wound up with these two pieces of paper,


which gave me the richer colour I was looking for once the inks were applied.


Tearing the papers into sections, I applied them to a black-gessoed spread in my journal, and realized they'd morphed into a standing stone image.  So much for the wonky houses, right?

I applied some Inka Gold in both the sky and ground,


and then added some sugar dust to the sky and two final stones to finish the page.   


I was interested in the negative spaces created by the stones, so I took some closer shots for posterity.








Those alcohol ink foils are truly delicious, no?

What's happening in your creative world right now?  Please share in the comments below, and feel free to add a link if you like.



15 comments:

  1. Wow what fun and beautiful technique your picture reminds me of my Utah's beautiful parks Canyon Land and Bryce Canyon...gorgeous.
    I think that paper would be very effective as a sculpture too, I love the texture and colors you achieve.
    How is your big move coming I missed you last week I hope all is well with you and yours. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deann - it's rather a fun technique, and although I don't know Utah well, it does have the feel of the canyons there. I'd not thought of doing sculpture with it, but maybe some wonky hours could go 3D! :D

      Sorry I missed last week; we attended my brother-in-law's funeral out of province, and I just could not fit everything into the week. I really must keep some posts in reserve for those times.

      I'll start packing this next week, as we'll be only a month out from the actual move...I can hardly wait for it to happen...SO ready! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow - this is so different! I do like the way you will try anything Win. Aluminum foil? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different is right, Val, and I had fun with the aluminum foil...so very rich. You're quite correct that I will try anything, although it doesn't always work out like expected. :D

      Delete
  3. You got fantastic vibrancy with the help of the gesso, I have to remember that when playing with aluminium foil again. Your stone henge scene is fantastic Win Dinn!
    Have a great weekend ahead my friend!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love playing with foil, Susi - so many ways to use it, and especially with black gesso. Thanks for the kudos, and right back at you for the weekend! xo

      Delete
  4. I missed you last week, Win, but you've come back with a burst of colour. Mysterious monoliths by moonlight - love them! Alcohol inks look so great on foil, don't they? There's something jewel-like about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tracy - MYSTERIOUS MONOLITHS BY MOONLIGHT - I'll have to do a full-size painting and use that wonderful title I think! Well done. :D I agree about alcohol inks on foil - such crystallic colour!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment, too, about missing me last week. It's great to know that a week's absence can make a difference to others, since I watch 'my peeps' blogs with anticipation, too. xo

      Delete
  5. Oh, I adore these alu-hallu textures and colours!
    And with sugar! Hahaha! yum-yum!
    I'm with you, spaces are very-very important, in any cases.
    The first one evoked Stonehenge for me at first sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something so powerful about Stonehenge, that one cannot look at standing stones without thinking of that marvellous creation. And truly, it has as much to do with the space as it does with the stone...such energy!

      Delete
  6. Great technique and the colours are wonderful. Have a great crafty week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela, and right back at you! Hope you've got a great weekend planned!

      Delete
  7. Wow! What a totally cool technique! I've never seen that before and might give that a whirl one day soon. I love the end result, it's sort of like a northern rock landscape in a way. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...black gesso on foil is the bomb, and when you add alcohol (ink), even more so. I'll be watching your posts for how you use it!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...