Thursday 9 August 2018

Pattern, pattern, pattern...


I showed you the start of these fun foam prints a couple of weeks ago, and thought you might like a view of the plate after the first print:


Of course, one can't do just one print with fun foam plates, especially given they pair so nicely with  gel plates.  The prints on the left are done with Golden Open paints on the gel plates with the ones on the right done from there directly onto white cardstock.  I can see there will be more of these in my printing future on both counts.



Blaming another recurring addiction directly on Lynne Mizera, I have to tell you we got stencil burning this past week...she'd taken a class a couple of years ago with me, but hadn't done her own since.  


We were so into the whole thing;  I used her Natalie Kolbach stamp to create paper mask and stencil and soon there were flying elephants all over the place.

The first elephant materialized when I used the mask portion over a gel print...yummy colour, don't you think?


Of course, I had to go back in with some gel pens and play some more - a whole lot more, in fact.


Then I used the paper stencil to create an outline on the house wrap, and started burning.



I was going a little bit googly-eyed, so I put a colourful print underneath the glass so I could actually see what I was doing.


It showed up really well, I thought.


Pretty soon there were elephants everywhere; they seemed to multiply faster than I could corral them.


I used the burned stencil portion over another gel print, and then the paper mask to pounce back into it for the background.  More gel pen play, and this happy, heart-ful elephant is well on it's way.  I think she looks like she's going on an adventure, don't you?


What have you been up to this week?  I love hearing about your own adventures during these hot summer days!

24 comments:

  1. Love this Win. I must get out my plate and play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karenliz - I just love playing with hand-crafted stencils and the gel plates...the possibilities are just dancing out into infinity. :D

      Delete
  2. You make it look so easy, yet I see it is quite a process to get that dazzling print elephant. Of course I think the elephant would make a great print fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Eileen - you are so right on both counts. The elephant would make a lovely print fabric, and the process to get there is a wee bit longer than shows in the blog. And isn't that the beauty of ongoing creativity...there's always more ways to play!

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a few hours of creative fun time in the studio. The elephant prints made me smile! They brought back memories of my time in Tsavo game park searching for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to tell me about that, Laura - it sounds just absolutely marvellous!

      Delete
  4. A filigree elephant - how wonderful! I've only ever cut stencils with a Stanley knife/box cutter/craft knife out of card. And isn't it great to use foam plates to create texture on the gelli-plate? You never quite know what you're going to get, which is the beauty of it.

    Over here in Liverpool I'm preparing for an art journal taster workshop on Tuesday, having fun making the giveaway packs for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your art journal taster, Tracy (not that you'll need it at all!)...that's a VERY luck group!!!! xo

      Delete
  5. Wow - I got crossed eyed just reading about wha tyou have been upto. It is always so interesting to see what other people are up to and so often we are all thinking - I could never do that - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wouldn't that be the lie, Val - you are the queen of doing what needs to be done, and learn it all so quickly!!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow.. such an inspiration always - I love the filigree elephant stencil and she really looks as if she is on an adventure! Bright and brilliant looking!

    Happy weekend !
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susi - these were really fun to do, and I'm loving the fact that she's on an adventure. Aren't we all?! :D Have a great weekend, my friend! xo

      Delete
  7. I love elephants and you have provided me with plenty of that! All dressed up with no place to go, and elephant comfort just sitting at home. Your backgrounds are absolutely delicious! Sometimes, allowing your background just to sit for a while is the best route to take. Well done here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Kay - I'm just having so much fun these days, and I can hardly wait to see what comes up next!!!

      Delete
  8. Win, your elephants are delightful even the used elephant stencil is delightful what a cool effect...I love the patterns.
    I am trying to catch up with my art today, we took our kids and grandkids to our annual wave runner party at our cabin on Bear Lake. We all had a great time but when I got home I found my blog had been taken over by ransom ware hackers and i could no longer access it. Luckily I was able to find a fix after several hours of trying. I think you have to be a really sorry soul to go around ripping off little old ladies art blogs. If anyone else has that problem I know how to fix it on Blogspot Blogs.
    Have fun with your stencils or any other wonderful thing you choose to create with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deann - I am so sorry to hear about your blog being hacked. It's beyond me why anyone would do so - unfathomable. I know the amount of frustration and time it takes to recover from something like that - your wave runner party high would have been long gone by the time you sorted it all out. :-( May their fingers atrophy and drop off for the trouble they caused! I AM most glad to hear, though, that you managed to get it all back. xo

      Delete
  9. Multiplying elephants??? Sounds like a fun time to me! heeheee
    I just love looking at your art play Win!
    Sending hugs and love xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really should put them all in a row, right, Jackie? Trunk to tail to trunk to tail, and we'd have a string of them from BC to New York, and could tap dance our way along them to visit each other! :D Happy day, dear friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela...I go back to these again and again; they're just so much fun to use!

      Delete
  12. Brilliant technique and a fabulous elephant. Thank you so much for sharing, Win. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Mia - that was a fun project, and burning the stencil means I get to do another - soon! :D

      Delete
  13. Great post!
    I feel trampled (in a good way) by elephants and COLOUR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice...I'm expecting to get a great deal of use out of that adventurous elephant! :D

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...