Thursday 12 July 2018

Squirrel!


Squirrel happens so often in the studio that I should really do a piece of artwork about it, except I keep getting distracted.  I used the large Branches mask by The Crafters Workshop on top of a Gelli print that had been created using one of my foam templates, and then....

I loved the effect, and decided to do another, but the unprepossessing template (photo below) caught my eye.  It obviously needed something more, so I spent an hour or so adding texture to it - rather challenging given it was already heavily painted.

I noticed, too, that the mask was badly in need of a cleaning, since many of those delightful little brach spaces had accumulated sneaky layers of paint...I could blame it on my students, couldn't I?  Oops, there went another hour.


Finishing the new texture necessitated another Gelli printing session, of course.  Don't you wonder why, in a studio the size I work in those prints and foam plates are all on the floor?



Perhaps it's because every surface in the studio is covered with in-progress projects!  I can see I've got some cleaning to do before my next guests and students arrive.


With mask taped in place over one of the prints, I was ready to roll with layer number two.


And of course, the mask got dirty once again, which meant another cleaning session.  At least this time it didn't take so long to get it clean.  It's amazing how much easier wet paint is to remove compared to dry.

Just because I'm on a roll with this mask and these textured prints, I might do another . . . what colour combo do you want to see?  And naturally, there are more layers to come on the ones I've already done - when I get back to them!


I hope you're as squirrelly as am I in the studio...it's certainly well worth it for entertainment value.

 

22 comments:

  1. What a lot of fun! I really like the last piece - blue and orange are such a super combination. Super work Win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Val...that's a colour combo that just thrills me, too!

      Delete
  2. Oh Win, love how you've used this mask and great choice of colours too. Happy crafty week my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela - this was a fun project, except for all that mask cleaning! :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, that tree stencil is seriously amazing and so is the resulting art! I really love those deep blue and orange colours together. Just fabulous looking.

    I'm not a fan of cleaning stencils either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal - that orange and blue is a knockout, right? But cleaning stencils? No, not so much. :D

      Delete
  4. The title of your post made me laugh! You might recall that we live in a campground in NH and have a dog...and, when we call out SQUIRREL, our dog goes crazy like you did in your studio, going from one thing to another! My studio in the trailer is not large enough to have that experience any longer but I do remember! It's like going online to pay a bill and getting lost in Pintrest. Or wanting to check the weather on your phone and ending up on Facebook! :-) All that said, I love your branches mask!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just see your pooch going nuts at the word squirrel - I certainly know it's a bit trigger for me (in any form). I can get lost for hours in the studio, and accomplish zero, zip, nada, with all my nuttiness! I was darn pleased that I actually managed a couple of useable prints at the end. ;-)

      Delete
  5. LOVE these! Love the colour combo of copper and blue/green.
    'Squirrel' is often yelled out in our house as there is a family that lives in the area and they visit the garden regularly. How often have I pulled up a horse chestnut seedling from a forgotten buried conker...
    And I think whatever size studio we have, we expand to fill it. It's just a creative law :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy...they were lots of fun to do, and now I want to make more 'tangled' foam templates to make more prints to make...more...everything! I'm laughing at your squirrel family and the horse chestnuts - we had the same thing in our recent home, and it drove our cat nuts. So true about the studio space - it's a good thing I don't live alone or the whole house would be layered with my detritus! :D

      Delete
  6. Oh wow... so many great designs - you are simply a natural!
    I own this tree stencil but in a mini format .It's fabulous!
    Yes always a big mess when one gets really creative - lol - that's the reason I rarely do gelli printing sessions - all the mess in my living room studio just makes me too nervous..lol!
    Happy creating and happy weekend dear Win Dinn!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susi - I have the small one too, but use it less than the larger one. I can make bigger messes that way! :D You'll just have to come and print in my studio to make a mess - saving living rooms, one mess at a time! Have a fabulous weekend too, my friend.

      Delete
  7. I am totally in squirrely mode on a daily basis! haahaaa
    How fun to see your pieces all over every surface- keeping it real sister!
    Sending love & hugs to you Winn! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could it be otherwise, Jackie - I'm pretty sure that being an artist is made for our messy side, and I've certainly got that down pat! Massive hugs, my artsy friend! xo

      Delete
  8. This mask is very effective, the complementary colours & textures are awesome!
    You've got a great place to work in and you seem to be so busy talented lady.
    Bravo for your formidable creativity Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sim - playing in the studio (one way or another) is what it's all about for me...let the games begin! :D

      Delete
  9. Fantastic prints, Win! The last one took my breath away! I must get or make one of those branch masks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fabulous mask, isn't it Zsuzsa? It's one of the most popular in my stencil/mask stash and gets used over and over again by students and friends.

      Delete
  10. I love squirrel and your new studio, they are both gorgeous. Maybe you'll think I am nuts but I think that tree would be gorgeous on an accent wall, and squirrels love nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annnnnd...this turned up today in my comments awaiting, so we're all nutty squirrels! :D

      Delete
  11. I don't want you to think I'm losing it babe but I left a comment on your Squirrels post last week and I must have exited the page without posting it because it ain't here now...oh well. Anyway it went something like this... I love your squirrels I think they would be beautiful on an accent wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deann, we're all losing it! :D I've done that more times than I can count. And that's a great idea about the accent wall...wouldn't that have an impact?!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

      Delete

Thanks for your comments - I value every one! If you wish to comment as 'Anonymous', please sign your full name to avoid being garbage can fodder! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...